The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default First Snake River Float Of 2010 Is On

Okay I'm psyched!! Just got off the phone with Greg. We are all set for the first float of the season. He is going to swing by at 10:00AM and pick me up. And then it's off to the river.

Weather does not look to be a problem. Cloudy but highs from 47 to 52. Winds are supposed to kick up in the afternoon but what else is new here in WY.

All in all it looks like a great streamer day with the possibility of some BWO's. Afternoon winds will probably blowout any hatches but you never know.

Hopefully I'll have some good pics and some video to post.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Snake River Float Of 2010 Is On

Davo: Sounds like the makings for a great day on the Snake, hope you hook into some nice fish!

Larry
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Davo: Sounds like the makings for a great day on the Snake, hope you hook into some nice fish!

Larry
Thanks Larry! When are you gonna come for a float or two this year?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Thanks Larry! When are you gonna come for a float or two this year?
Whenever I get an invite! LOL!
Seriously, it will be awhile, I have been helping my son move into his new place, now we are moving the machine shop, a real PAIN..........everything seems really heavy for some reason!
I'll send you a PM tomorrow, I'm headed to bed.

Larry
Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

We need to make some plans for the Upper Green also.

Dave we need to get over to larry's area and fish the North Platte (Gray reef), that looks like great streamer water.

Good luck today buddy.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
We need to make some plans for the Upper Green also.

Dave we need to get over to larry's area and fish the North Platte (Gray reef), that looks like great streamer water.

Good luck today buddy.
Absolutely, on both counts. Made it back just now but have to race to get ready for work. I will update on how the float went later!!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, your butt is gonna be draggin' so bad come morning!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Oh yes! Who needs sleep anyway! LOL!

Larry
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Why should today be different? I get too much sleep I get cranky, and then people don't like me so much!!

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Oh yes! Who needs sleep anyway! LOL!

Larry
I hear tell it is over rated!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Okay her goes, just remember I've been awake for 40+ hours at this point.

Well all in all it was a great day. The fishing was slow but the weather was better than we could have hoped for. Put on the river at 11:00AM, temps in the low 50's and partly cloudy. By noon it had warmed up nicely and the sun came out and stayed till about 4:00. The rest of the day was overcast and cool as the wind really picked up, so the jacket came back out. But the rain held off for the entire day. We hit the take out at 7:30PM.

A mere 200yds down from the take out we came into a pool with some rising fish. No apparent hatch to be seen so we started prospecting. We threw BWO,s and various midge patterns. Ended up hooking a few whitefish and Greg got one small Cutthroat. Since we still 12 mile of river to float we decided to move on.

We threw streamers pretty much all day except in a few of the most likely pools where we went prospecting with BWO's and midges. We hooked a few more whitefish and Greg hooked a nice big Cutty but lost it trying to horse it in. That was all the action we had on dries.

The streamers did not produce at all until after 3:00. I hooked up with 4 but only got 3 to hand.

Click the image to open in full size.

Greg hooked into a couple on streamers as well!

The water temp was only 46 degrees so the fish were pretty in active.

The main highlight of the day was Greg getting a demo Hydros 6wt at the Orvis shop while picking up a license. I had not cast one of these rods yet and was interested in comparing it to the Helios. What a sweet rod!! Every bit as nice as the Helios. So if you think the Helios is for you but don't see the need to pay an additional 300.00 for recoil guides and a fancy reel seat go with the Hydros.

It was really great to be out on the river casting and rowing after a long winter which is not quite over yet. As of an hour ago it is snowing again here in Jackson. More than likely it will all melt by this after noon. Temps are supposed to be in the high 40's to mid 50's for the next couple of weeks. So look for the river to get better every day from now till runoff starts.