The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 AM

mparks is on a distinguished road
Default Jackson Hole area river conditions - Memorial Day Weekend

My wife booked a trip for us to the Snake River Lodge in Jackson, WY for Memorial Day Weekend. She has some spa activities in mind and I've been given clearance to do some fishing. She's even given the OK to take a float trip.

I understand that this will be during spring run-off most years so I'm guess I'm looking for confirmation. From scouring the net, I see that some of the popular options during run-off in the area are to make a ~2 hour trip to either The Firehole, The Henry's Fork, or The Green. Appears lake fishing during this time would be a good option as well but it's not really what I do much of here in MI.

I guess I'm trying to get opinions on how best to spend my limited fishing time while I'm there. I'd like to find an option closer to Jackson that would likely be fishable during the runoff period.

Thanks,
Mick Parks
Old 04-17-2010, 07:43 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Jackson Hole area river conditions - Memorial Day Weekend

mparks

Unfortunately Memorial Day will more than likely be during the run off. The rivers you mentioned are all possibilities except maybe the Green. Runoff is very hard to predict as it depends on many factors such as rain fall and temperatures. Some years it can end in early June and others it goes well into August. This year in Jackson our snow pack is at or just above 70% of the 30yr average. If the spring rains are not bad and we get high temps early it is possible that some of the tributaries of the Snake can clear up in time for your trip. It will be more of a wait and see scenario on float trips. Wish I could be more specific but as runoff has not even started yet there really is no predicting when it will end.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mick: You might check with the local fly shops, they might be running floats on the Green by Memorial Day. Another option would be to float the South Fork of the Snake River below Palisades Reservoir over by Swan Valley, ID. Davo, Fysh and I like to do that float when the other local streams are in run off conditions. It is about 46 miles from Jackson Hole if you take hwy 22 over Teton Pass to Victor and then hwy 31 to Swan Valley.

Larry
Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

This is our 10th anniversary trip. We took our honeymoon to the Durango area and I didn't do much planing and ended up without doing much fishing. Trying to avoid that from happening this time.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome! Hope you have a happy anniversary and also getout for some of the excellent fishing that area offers.

Larry
Old 04-17-2010, 11:04 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparks View Post
. . . I've been given clearance to do some fishing. She's even given the OK to take a float trip. . . .
Not my business, but sounds to me like you all need to reset your priorities.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 PM

I went ahead and just booked a float trip with Henry's Fork Anglers. First time I've ever done that and I sure am excited. I've even talked my wife into riding along. We are fishing Thursday. Hope the weather is decent.

I'll be looking to do some fishing on my on while I'm out there. Any ideas on places to try close to Jackson would be appreciated. I'm open to lakes if all the local rivers are running too high.

I was thinking of making a trip into Yellowstone to fish on Saturday. Will the crowds be a big problem since it is the opener? Any indication if those creeks will be high with run-off?