The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   South Fork of the Snake Water Levels On The Rise (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/13422-south-fork-snake-water-levels-rise.html)

Davo 04-18-2010 10:23 PM

South Fork of the Snake Water Levels On The Rise

Just checked the Bureau of Reclamation, Pacific Northwest Region Hydromet Program and the release from Palisades Res. are up from Friday about 100cfs. Not surprising they are starting to release water seeing as the Reservoir is at 92% of capacity and run off is coming. Add the good snow pack in the Greys and Salt River drainage and the recipe for high releases is almost a sure thing. Hurry up and get your spring fishing in!!

MTskibum 04-19-2010 09:45 AM

Re: South Fork of the Snake Water Levels On The Rise

EDIT

Gallatin River: 4 corners to missouri river is blown out, 4 corners to the canyon entered is low vis, but still fishable, the canyon is good right now. The conditions on the gallatin could change any day now, but we should have a week left.

Madison River - The lower madison is off color but is still at normal flows, the upper madison is fine. Conditions on the madison do not change as quickly as the gallatin, it should be safe to a assume a couple more weeks of fishing before runoff.

Yellowstone - I have not been to it, Montana Troutfitters -- Bozeman's oldest and most trusted trout shop says that it is offcolor, but fishable.

Davo 04-19-2010 02:27 PM

MTskibum

Looks as though runoff is just around the corner for us all. We had a light snow pack here in Jackson so if the rains are not to extensive this spring we may be fishing the Snake early to mid June. Get to hit a few hatches we usually miss.

The South Fork level was raised another 300cfs today. So they are definitely starting to draw down the Palisades to prepare for runoff. Good news is now we can float the Canyon!!

fyshstykr 04-20-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo (Post 89042)
Good news is now we can float the Canyon!!

In a brand spankin' new boat too! Has it been leak tested?

Davo 04-20-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyshstykr (Post 89097)
In a brand spankin' new boat too! Has it been leak tested?

I assumed they do that at the factory. Is that up to the customer? :surprise:

fyshstykr 04-20-2010 10:44 AM

Sheesh!! don't you know anything Dave. [poke]
I'll show you how.:rolleyes:

Davo 04-20-2010 10:46 AM

Persiate it Fysh!! You Da Man. :rolleyes:

MTskibum 04-20-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTskibum (Post 89020)
EDIT

Gallatin River: 4 corners to missouri river is blown out, 4 corners to the canyon entered is low vis, but still fishable, the canyon is good right now. The conditions on the gallatin could change any day now, but we should have a week left.

Madison River - The lower madison is off color but is still at normal flows, the upper madison is fine. Conditions on the madison do not change as quickly as the gallatin, it should be safe to a assume a couple more weeks of fishing before runoff.

Yellowstone - I have not been to it, Montana Troutfitters says that it is offcolor, but fishable.

I edited my post. I have been out fishing the gallatin 8 days in the last 2 weeks, and spent yesterday on the madison. I am going to try to get 1-2 days on the madison before it hits spring runoff, and then hang up the waders for a month.

Spring fishing in bozeman was as good as i can ever remember.

Davo 04-30-2010 09:57 PM

Quick update. With Palisades Res at 99% full I expect the water releases to start coming up pretty soon. So far they have been upping the release about 400cfs a week. They raised it 400cfs today for total output at the Dam of 2800cfs.

Davo 05-11-2010 07:08 AM

Well if your planning to fish the South Fork get it in this week. They are planning to do there flush the 3rd week of May. Runoff will be right on the heels of that if not the same time. So starting next week it will be a waiting game for stable flows and fishable color.