The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default South Fork of the Snake Water Levels On The Rise

Just checked the Bureau of Reclamation, Pacific Northwest Region Hydromet Program and the release from Palisades Res. are up from Friday about 100cfs. Not surprising they are starting to release water seeing as the Reservoir is at 92% of capacity and run off is coming. Add the good snow pack in the Greys and Salt River drainage and the recipe for high releases is almost a sure thing. Hurry up and get your spring fishing in!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: South Fork of the Snake Water Levels On The Rise

EDIT

Gallatin River: 4 corners to missouri river is blown out, 4 corners to the canyon entered is low vis, but still fishable, the canyon is good right now. The conditions on the gallatin could change any day now, but we should have a week left.

Madison River - The lower madison is off color but is still at normal flows, the upper madison is fine. Conditions on the madison do not change as quickly as the gallatin, it should be safe to a assume a couple more weeks of fishing before runoff.

Yellowstone - I have not been to it, Montana Troutfitters -- Bozeman's oldest and most trusted trout shop says that it is offcolor, but fishable.

Last edited by MTskibum; 04-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

MTskibum

Looks as though runoff is just around the corner for us all. We had a light snow pack here in Jackson so if the rains are not to extensive this spring we may be fishing the Snake early to mid June. Get to hit a few hatches we usually miss.

The South Fork level was raised another 300cfs today. So they are definitely starting to draw down the Palisades to prepare for runoff. Good news is now we can float the Canyon!!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Good news is now we can float the Canyon!!
In a brand spankin' new boat too! Has it been leak tested?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
In a brand spankin' new boat too! Has it been leak tested?
I assumed they do that at the factory. Is that up to the customer?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh!! don't you know anything Dave.
I'll show you how.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Persiate it Fysh!! You Da Man.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
EDIT

Gallatin River: 4 corners to missouri river is blown out, 4 corners to the canyon entered is low vis, but still fishable, the canyon is good right now. The conditions on the gallatin could change any day now, but we should have a week left.

Madison River - The lower madison is off color but is still at normal flows, the upper madison is fine. Conditions on the madison do not change as quickly as the gallatin, it should be safe to a assume a couple more weeks of fishing before runoff.

Yellowstone - I have not been to it, Montana Troutfitters says that it is offcolor, but fishable.

I edited my post. I have been out fishing the gallatin 8 days in the last 2 weeks, and spent yesterday on the madison. I am going to try to get 1-2 days on the madison before it hits spring runoff, and then hang up the waders for a month.

Spring fishing in bozeman was as good as i can ever remember.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 PM

Quick update. With Palisades Res at 99% full I expect the water releases to start coming up pretty soon. So far they have been upping the release about 400cfs a week. They raised it 400cfs today for total output at the Dam of 2800cfs.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Well if your planning to fish the South Fork get it in this week. They are planning to do there flush the 3rd week of May. Runoff will be right on the heels of that if not the same time. So starting next week it will be a waiting game for stable flows and fishable color.