The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 05:49 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default New Boats Maiden Voyage!

Hi everybody

Picked up the new boat yesterday. Now it is the wee hours of Friday the 23rd of April 2010. Just about to jump in the shower, load the truck and head off to meet Fyshstykr and his better half. We will be floating the lower South Fork. Water is up 400 cfs or so from last week. Supposed to be cloudy with chance of rain and water that is just barely off color.

I will report back soon on how the day went. Right now I have to get going as I have a long ride. Have to take the long way around as the Pass is closed to trailer traffic. May be raining here in town but up at 10,000 feet it has been snowing. This makes an hour an fifteen minute trip a two hour trip.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Boats Maiden Voyage!

Good Luck!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

heres hoping for a good report with an ample dousing of pictures

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo: I hope you and Fysh have a great day on the SF with the new Clacka Fly Pod! Don't forget the drain plugs! LOL! It is snowing over here today, hope you have better wx.

Larry
Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Hi everybody

Well the maiden voyage and christening of the new boat are in the books of history. It was a great day. I was join on auspicious day by the forums own Fyshstykr and his better half Fyshnchyk. Any day when I can spend time on the water with them is a great day, but having them there for the first float in my new boat was extra special!!!

I picked up the boat on Thursday and brought it home in torrential rain. This left me apprehensive for fishing Friday, but in no way deterred me from christening the boat. After all I have plenty of rain gear and long underwear! LOL Friday morning I awoke to a cloudy cool morning but now rain. On the long drive around the mountain due to the pass being closed to trailer traffic the sky lightened and the rain stayed away.

When we met up at the bought ramp Fyshnchyk report the weather was to improve during the day. When we launched the sky's were still gray and the temperature was still chilly. This changed quickly as the sun came out and stayed all. Might have had something to do with me not bringing any sunscreen.

Here are the photos of the launch and christening of the new boat!

Click the image to open in full size.

I christened the boat with a bottle of Trout Slayer ale.

The ceremony over we jumped in and headed down river. The fish were more active compared to last Fridays float. Water color was a little off due to rain and some early runoff. This resulted in the fish being a bit more willing to chase streamers. There was unfortunately no hatch activity to speak of. We had our eyes out for risers all day but alas it was not to be.

So it was a day of chucking streamers. The difficulty of which increased a short way into the float as the wind came up and kept coming up river all day. This made me glad I had a low profile boat. Though we struggled at the oars all day with the wind it was nothing compared to how tough it would have been in my old Lavro high side.

We rolled many fish throughout the day on a variety of color patterns. My fishing partners boated 5 or 6 fish. We stuck many more but could not keep them on the hook. Never did figure out what the problem was. Greg and I experienced the same problem last week too. We had many nice fish take our offerings. But within seconds they were set loose having only given us a glimpse of there beauty. Some would look at this as a bad thing. However for myself it means I will be back to figure these fish and this stretch of river out. Next Thursday and Friday in fact!! Anyone want in on the learning experience?

Here are the photos of a couple fish and my floating cohorts.

Fyshstykr with a browny

Fyshnchyk with a Cutty

fyshstykr with another Browny

This is the after lunch rest period!!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Davo,looks like you had great fun....Fysh caught some Fishcan't believe it!!!must be fake pics
Old 04-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Great post Davo,looks like you had great fun....Fysh caught some Fishcan't believe it!!!must be fake pics
JP: I think you are correct........look closer and you will see a Safeway sticker on both fish! LOL!

Davo: Awesome looking boat, congrats! Great fishing report, good to see you hooked into some very nice looking trout!

Larry
Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Thanks guys!! Fysh and the Mrs. are floating the same stretch today. They were already into fish when I text them. So I expect another report on th lower South Fork soon.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Wait a minute, we see Fysh netting fish we don't see him catching any.

Frank
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Wait a minute, we see Fysh netting fish we don't see him catching any.

Frank
Frank

I'd testify to his actually catching them but we have not negotiated a fee yet!!