The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Snake River Fishing Report 05/06/2011

A good day was had by all on the 3rd float of the season. In attendance were my Boss and friend Greg, his friend and business associate Drew and myself so we had a full boat.

We delayed our launch until mid day as Drew had some prior commitment. Weather was different from Mondays float. Today we had cloud cover the entire float. But the temps were in the mid 50's until the very end when a cold wind and some rain finally settled into the valley.

Water conditions did not differ from Monday. The level is still high and fast with flows being around 2000cfs high than typical summer levels while they draw down Jackson Lake to make room for snow melt. The lake is currently at 60% of capacity. Water clarity is still good and should remain so until tributary runoff begins and muddies things up.

With the high flows the best chances at fish come from the slower shallower side channels. Presenting a fly in the main flows is pretty much futile as the water is really moving!! Care must be taken when floating the edges as every channel that allows an easy in does not necessarily offer an easy out.

With the wind blowing at 15mph there was not much in the way of dry fly action. Subsequently we limited ourselves to the chucking of streamers. Which gave us a better reception from the fish today versus Monday. We roll several, LDR'd a few more and brought 6-7 nice Cutty's to hand.

Once again we stopped in the mouth of Spring Creek and present dries to a few sporadic risers. The fish here were not as active as on Mondays float but did sample our offerings just the same. Drew brought 5-6 to hand in about 30 minutes. We opted to let him have the hole as it was his first float with us.

Here are the photos of our streamer takers!!

Click the image to open in full size.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snake River Fishing Report 05/06/2011

Davo: Good to see you guys getting out on the water! Considering the high water, you are landing some nice fish, congrats!

Larry

Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll go along with Larry, good to hear and see that you're getting to float and fish. Is that an AIR raft?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-07-2011, 12:11 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting your results...glad to see someone out catching fish. I've only fished a small portion of the Hoback just up from the junction this season, with no luck...don't think the water temps have gotten high enough to push too many fish up that area.

Went to the dam the other day scouting and I think i am going to go catch some lakers with the old bass reel.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'll go along with Larry, good to hear and see that you're getting to float and fish. Is that an AIR raft?

Ard

It's nice to be getting out for sure!! Not sure how long it will last with big runoff coming. The raft is an Achilles, they no longer make them. My boss Greg bought two of them 20yrs ago when he started the business. They are still going strong.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it wasn't bad in spite of not really....good conditionsDavo you need to sunbathe a bit....you look very pale on the pics
Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Davo you need to sunbathe a bit....you look very pale on the pics
JP

8 months of winter does that to a fella!!! The flash on that old camera does not help either

Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Well as it turns out this was the last float of the preseason. Runoff is now in full swing!! Glad we made the plans and carried them through cause runoff is going to be long this year with all the snow we got this winter. Looks like my Tarpon trip come June 16th will be my next fishing experience. Picking up a 12wt rod and making consistent 80' foot cast after being idle for a month. Just the thought of it makes my arm hurt already!! But you got to do what you got to do!! some how I'll manage

Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pics Davo.

Dave