The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default WY Fly Fishing

The three of us left town on Friday morning at 7 am and got over to the Green River around lunch, stopped at Dutch John for UT fishing licenses and lunch and then went down to Little Hole (the take out for the A section of the river) and wade fished until about 6 pm. I think we hooked into about 30 fish and landed maybe 15. Lots of algae floating in the water, making for some tough fishing. Starting next Tues they are raising the water from 850 CFS to a little over 3,000 CFS to flush the river. Friday night it snowed a little and was pretty cold when we hit the water. It was sleeting as we drove down to the boat ramp. We passed two big bus loads of kids getting ready to do a raft float, they were all dressed in shorts and t-shirts! Boy, that had to be a brutal float trip for them, but at least they all had paddles and could keep moving. We had everything we owned on, it was still flat COLD, with a totally overcast sky! We floated the A section, nymph fished most of the way except for an outstanding section in the late afternoon where the fish were rising to BWO's. The fish were slurping flies off the surface, there were so many fish coming up you couldn't count them fast enough, I have never seen anything like it. It was a short stretch of water maybe 100 yards long, but the fish were coming to the surface everywhere you looked, it was just crazy. Needless to say we were in FF heaven while we tossed BWO emergers. We totally lost count of the fish we hooked into, maybe 80-90 fish between the three of us. It was fantastic fishing, overcast and very cold all day. It was easier on me as I was on the oars most of the day, but Pete and my son were really cold. Sunday we decided against doing another float, it snowed again Sat night and again was very cold in the morning so we went back to Little Hole and wade fished until about 1 pm then hit the road. Fantastic couple of days fishing. I dropped my camera in the river while wade fishing and trying to land a fish, so that put a damper on things. Now I need a water proof camera!

Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: WY Fly Fishing

Larry

Great report!!! Glad you got into some fish in spite of the weather. Sorry to hear about the camera, but now you have an excuse to buy a nice waterproof one!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo: Thanks, I've never experienced trout fishing like that! Reminded me of non-stop salmon fishing on the Kenai. Talked with the folks at Trout Creek Flies and they had told us it had been tough fishing the last couple of weeks so we were totally surprised by the bite! Wx forecast called for 69, 53 and 59 degress for the three days, so I left my neopreme waders at the house........big mistake! That is two years in a row that it has snowed on us over there in late May. I should have known better than to trust the forecast. This year it was the first outting in the boat, boy my arms and shoulders are feeling the strain. Getting thru Mother-in-Law and Deadman require some aggressive rowing. Next year I'm going to make sure I get out a couple of times before tackling that stream.

Larry
Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Thanks for the nice report and fish pics Larry. You're on a good start to a great season. Burrrr though, huh. Sorry about your camera.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Great going Larry. Winter's a long time leaving this year. It has slowed the advent of runoff down here, but with the last couple warm days that has changed. The Ark is filling up fast now.
Love those Browns
Old 05-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hats off Larrygreat report!....I know someone who's going to start searching on e bay
Old 05-24-2010, 03:42 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love that 'A' Section of the Green. I've had some fantastic days sight-fishing along that first mile up from the Little Hole takeout. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

A few years back on the Green my fishing partner and I rented a raft with a rowing platform. I started rowing and after a while I ask my partner if he could row. He said sure, he rowed all the time as a boy. That should have given me a clue but we went ahead and switch seats with him rowing. It was our first time down the river and we didn't know exactly where we were. When we rented the boat the guy told us to make sure we stayed right when we hit this one section. So as we entered that section I started pointing right and then we were in a 360 and heading to the far left where the currant was diving under a huge rock. We some how came out of that doing a few more 360s. I said "Dam, Wayne I thought you could row." He just looked at me and said I had better take over. You think? We had some laughs over it later.

Later when I got my pontoon I tried to get him to get one but he never did.

Frank
Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Frank: That was funny! Glad you two made it out ok. Actually, I would think you might be a little safer in a poonton if you got slightly off line and hit a few of the sleeper rocks as long as you avoided the big boys.

Kelly: You obviously know where I'm talking about on the lower section. I don't know if you have ever seen anything like that, but it was just awesome seeing that many fish coming up to the surface slurping BWO's. It lasted approx a half hour and then the fish disappeared, but we certainly got our share on the line. For me that was a fishing trip of the year!

Larry
Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great report, Larry! And, I think, worth the cold to get a fishing day like that 100 yard stretch you described. I've never fished the Green; now it's on my list, for sure!

When you go to get another camera, have a look at the Olympus Stylus 850SW; both my wife and I carry one and if it falls out of our vest while we're on the stream, then we simply pick it up and keep right on shooting. The pics that I took while we were in Belize were all shot with that camera. I also use it locally to shoot fish being stocked underwater; it gives a nice effect.

Archived Products &gt Stylus 850 SW

Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus 850SW 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom… Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus 850SW 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom…

Makes me want to come out West again.

Thanks,

Pocono