The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   What are your 5 must fish rivers in Colorado in early July? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/13906-what-your-5-must-fish-rivers-colorado-early-july.html)

bmfa 05-28-2010 06:10 PM

What are your 5 must fish rivers in Colorado in early July?

Vacation plans changed. I now get from July 5th - July 12th in Colorado. Camping and fishing, just me and my son. We we're thinking of the Blue, Arkansas, Colorado and maybe the Frying Pan. Any suggestions from the locals or experts. We have never fished there and are so looking forward to it. I was told today from a guy that went out there that I should bring lots of Hoppers and Gray Drakes as they will be on then. Please any info would be greatly appreciated. And are there many cheaper campsites close by to these streams?

mcnerney 05-28-2010 08:23 PM

Re: What are your 5 must fish rivers in Colorado in early July?

That looks like a pretty good list. July is Green Drake time on the Roaring Fork, I'd try to hit that hatch if possible. The hatch starts down low and slowly works its way up the river and then into the Frying Pan. Check with the local fly shops.
Frying Pan Anglers - Frying Pan Anglers Aspen, Basalt fly fishing, fishing reports Frying Pan, Roaring Fork and Colorado, guided fishing trips and float trips Aspen, Basalt and Colorado fishing tours, fly fishing equipment, .

Roaring Fork Fly Fishing Report ~ Guided Fly Fishing Trips ~ Roaring Fork Anglers

Taylor Creek Fly Shops

Current Report

Fishing Conditions on the Arkansas River in Colorado

Larry

bmfa 05-28-2010 09:40 PM

I forgot to ask if anyone knows of a website that I can find Colorado State campgrounds, Not state parks but just some riverside or forest campgrounds that allow tent camping..
Thanks

yatahey 05-29-2010 06:09 AM

You list of rivers is a good one. Like Larry said, don't miss the Green Drake hatch.
Here is the USFS campground website,
Arapaho National Forest Campgrounds
and a good general Forest Service info page
U.S. Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Region

spanish_fly 05-29-2010 10:04 PM

The frying pan and the roaring fork are awesome rivers to fish! I would recommend looking into a guide, they can get you into some really good waters on both rivers and a little into the the Colorado. Glenwood springs has a couple of fly shops, one of them who guides too.

As for camping I'm not too sure about near the frying pan and the roaring fork but if you don't mind staying about 45 mins away from genwood springs then rifle has some really cool camping either at rifle gap or by rifle falls and past that just a little ways in a canyon that has cool creek fishing. Anymore questions rifle has an informational site or you can message me. We also have some public land right here in town that you can fish the Colorado.

mcnerney 05-29-2010 10:33 PM

I forgot to mention that if you decide to fish the Pan/Roaring Fork, as Spanish Fly mentioned there is no camping immediately in that area. However, there is an RV/Camp site just west of Glenwood Springs on I-70 call Glenwood Canyon Resort.

Glenwood Springs Lodging Glenwood Springs Cabin

Larry

MBWCC 05-30-2010 05:29 AM

Regarding campsites-

Here are a few campsites I have noted in passing:

1. Swan Mountain Road near Frisco along the perimeter of Dillon Reservoir (USFS White River Nat'l Forest).
2. Hwy 9 approximately 5-10 miles north of Silverthorne (along the Blue, also White River Nat'l Forest).
3. Hwy 82 east of Aspen about halfway between Aspen and Independence Pass (on the Roaring Fork).

A good campground information resource for much of the area you mentioned is USFS map for the White River National Forest.

Another good campground information resource is the Colorado State Wildlife Recreation Area listing. Many are situated near good fishing and a few allow camping.

I fish much of the area you mentioned fairly frequently but have always stayed in Breckenridge so I have no first hand knowledge of campgrounds, only observations as I blew past on the highway headed for a stream. The campground I mentioned on Hwy 9 north of Silverthorne is literally on the Blue River in a nice fishing stretch betweed Dillon Reservoir and Green Mountain Reservoir. I believe the campground along Hwy 82 and the Roaring Fork is across the highway from the river but my memory is a bit vague on that point. The Roaring Fork in that area is smaller and faster water, plunge & pool for the most part, with mostly smaller fish but still fun and very beautiful.

bmfa 06-02-2010 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the insight guys:D We are excited about this trip.:frogdance
Will post some pics when we get back of all those river hogs we catch...