The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Huge Pike Caught on Fly Rod

Man Catches Huge Pike on Cheap Fly Rod; Potential North American Fly Fishing Record | Flathead Beacon

Larry
Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Huge Pike Caught on Fly Rod

Quote:
about a month ago, ivan keeney decided to take up fly fishing. He bought a $21 fly rod
i love it!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Larry,

It seems that we have had discussions on the price of fly rods over the years, all I can say is good luck Ivan! When the sockeye come in I will have my 9' 7wt $50 Quarrow Big Horn Drake in my hand. Four seasons and running it is still the go to 7wt. I have used the Sage VT2 ($460 retail) on a couple occasions but I like the Quarrow better.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Larry,

It seems that we have had discussions on the price of fly rods over the years, all I can say is good luck Ivan! When the sockeye come in I will have my 9' 7wt $50 Quarrow Big Horn Drake in my hand. Four seasons and running it is still the go to 7wt. I have used the Sage VT2 ($460 retail) on a couple occasions but I like the Quarrow better.
Ard: That is interesting that you mentioned liking the Quarrow as JP also has a Quarrow that he likes. I guess I'm going to have to try a Quarrow one of these days.

Larry
Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Axle uses one too and loves it. They are not in production any longer, I don't know why. I will take some detailed pictures of mine (I have two) and post a thread so you can see the finish work. They were nicely done and will land a 23 pound silver without breaking so I have no idea why they quit making rods.

Ard

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

I'll just stick them here;

The Tag;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The Seat;

Check & Keeper;

Stripping guide; there are two of these oversized guides and the rest are quaility snake guides.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Since I'm sort of picky about things and have finished a few rods I can give an assessment of this one. The windings are all tight (no visible gaps in the thread); The Seat is good quality for fresh or salt use and never loses its grip on the reel foot. The little knurled winding check is a touch of class for a rod at such a low price, most have a rubber check. The stripper guides are ceramic lined I think and the rod shoots line wonderfully. And, the ferrules always stay tight while in use!

All together they are a great rod to own. I posted about them a couple years ago and urged members to take a look at them. I had no idea they would go off market but at $50 I bought a second as a "Warranty rod" in case I ever hurt this one. If I find another super deal I'll let it be known.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Ard: Thanks, that is a nice looking rod, makes you wonder why they quit making the larger sizes.

Larry
Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Yep...I'm thankful to Ard for advising me to buy one...I really enjoy fishing with it...my friend Batistou tried my 9'#5 a few weeks ago,when I told him how much I had bought it,he asked me order one for him at once,and I did
Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Yep...I'm thankful to Ard for advising me to buy one...I really enjoy fishing with it...my friend Batistou tried my 9'#5 a few weeks ago,when I told him how much I had bought it,he asked me order one for him at once,and I did
JP: At the price they are asking for them you can't hardly go wrong. Now that you are using your Quarrow, send me your Scott G2, I'll pay for shipping! LOL!

Larry
Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
JP: At the price they are asking for them you can't hardly go wrong. Now that you are using your Quarrow, send me your Scott G2, I'll pay for shipping! LOL!

Larry
You can always dream Larry....but I can get you a Quarrow at a great price...if you want