The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Teton Wilderness - Yellowstone River and Thorofare Creek

Hello all,

I am going to backpack into the Teton Wilderness and fish the Yellowstone River and Thorofare Creek. My goal is to make it to the Yellowstone Meadow and camp near Hawks Rest. I'm hoping someone here has been into the area because it is difficult to find information on the region. I assume because the area is so remote and difficult to access. I will be heading in around late June to fish the Yellowstone Lake cutthroat spawn.

My questions are: what is really the best time to fish while the Yellowstone Lake cutthroats are still lingering around in the Yellowstone River and Thorofare Creek? How much does the spring runoff affect the two rivers? When is spring runoff complete? Is Atlantic Creek worth checking out? What about Bridger Lake? Where are the best campsites? What is the daily limit?........I usually eat a trout or two a day while backpacking.

Also, the 26 mile trail from the Turpin Meadow trail head looks very gentle with only a 1500' elevation gain over the top of Two Ocean Pass. But the topo map does not show the quality of the trail obviously. Is the trail well maintained? Is it beat up from pack stock?

Thanks

josh
Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teton Wilderness - Yellowstone River and Thorofare Creek

Sorry can't help you as I've not been there.....want company.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Anyone's welcome to come along. But it's 26 miles one way and I hope to cover at least 20 miles the first day and hike into Hawks Rest, set up camp, and start the fishing the second day. I plan to fish and explore for three full days and then take two full days to hike back out to the car.

The fishing is supposedly better than anything on the Snake and/or in Yellowstone NP.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

countr21: That sounds like a great trip (way beyond my hiking capability), I sure hope you get into some nice fishing! Good luck on your trip.

Larry
Old 05-31-2010, 08:21 PM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

To be totally blunt, there is a reason why the park does not allow fishing the spawning streams inside its boundaries until July 15. With the utter devastation of the Yellowstone cutthroat population by lake trout and whirling disease, any disruption of spawning should be avoided. While you might get up there and find no fish at all (which has happened on many tributaries), you might find a few 24" ten year old cutts that dodged both WD and the lakers. Disrupting their desperate effort to replenish cutt populations is not something to be proud of.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

You may want to take in to consideration one other thing. If your fishing in the heart of Grizzly territory during the cutthroat spawn you should expect some unfriendly competitors.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-02-2010, 03:35 AM

Hiking 26 miles in, dodging a few grizzlies and spending a few days fishing is a trip to be proud of and while I am no expert I doubt a adventurous single fisherman is going to devestate the river.

Sounds like a great trip, however I will have to pass. Taking my wife with me on the June trip and that is a bit beyond her hiking distance, but I will be waiting for great pics.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM

You want to bet?

You don't think one person tromping around in this creek would disrupt spawning and/or kill thousands of eggs?

http://parksflyshop.com/images/2008%...llspawners.jpg
Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Fishing, you know, sliding up near a creek real quiet like, flipping a grasshopper or maybe an ant out real quiet like.....involves no tromping

I appreciate your opinion and concern, but mine is that if a man is willing to walk 26 miles to fish, he more then likely will have a great deal of respect for the stream when he gets there.
smoothie likes this.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 AM

If you fish for actively spawning wild trout over gravel and aren't twelve, you do not respect them. Period.