The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 PM

ghostingrey is on a distinguished road
Default Sangre de Cristo Update

In case anybody is interested, I figured I'd give an update on the water conditions and fishing. The much needed rain in New Mexico has finally eased up a bit, which has improved water clarity significantly. It was some pretty difficult fishing through most of late July and August with the high and muddy water.
This past weekend I fished both the Rio Santa Barbara and the Upper Pecos. Fishing was very good at both spots. The Santa Barbara is running almost crystal clear, the only hatches I saw were sporadic midges and mayflies. I had fair success with Hare's ear nymphs, small elk hair caddis, and BWO. I only fished the Santa Barbara on Sunday as I was too busy chasing grouse on Saturday. Only managed to land four fish, but they were all beautiful Rio Grande Cutthroats, fat and healthy. The biggest was pushing 14". Even though I only landed four, there were dozens of strikes and I probably hooked at least a dozen.
The Pecos is fishing even better. The browns are vicious and hungry. I was fortunate enough to encounter a short but heavy hatch of tiny mayflies (not sure of the species exactly) I had fair success with a size 18-20 BWO. Landed five fish in 15 minutes before things shut down. When there was nothing hatching, dead drifting a size 14 beadhead Hare's ear or swinging size 12-10 black or olive wooly buggers were both extremely effective tactics.
Don't know if anyone is close enough to take advantage but I am pretty confident that this is going to be an awesome fall for trout fishing in NM. I've got some pics from this weekend if anyone wants to host em. Shoot me a PM if you'll be in the state, I'll try to send you to some good water.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sangre de Cristo Update

Sounds like you had a great time. I like the Sangre de Cristo area. You might try Steve's other forum site: http://www.sanjuanriverforum.com

Beautiful country. I would consider myself luck to live there.
Thanks,
Terry