The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 AM

deanm2 is on a distinguished road
Default re: Lewis and Harks Montana Exp of 2012

Headed out the end of next week for our annual DIY trip...we have had "plans" for about 5 months now to fish a favorite river - now we are a week out and flows are high and fast limiting safe wading waters...hopefully conditions will change for the better in the next week or so, but if not, it's on to plan B.

"Flexiblity" and "options", always have the resources (maps, books, pre -knowledge etc) to make a change at the last minute.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm2 View Post
Headed out the end of next week for our annual DIY trip...we have had "plans" for about 5 months now to fish a favorite river - now we are a week out and flows are high and fast limiting safe wading waters...hopefully conditions will change for the better in the next week or so, but if not, it's on to plan B.

"Flexiblity" and "options", always have the resources (maps, books, pre -knowledge etc) to make a change at the last minute.
Aside from some bumps from rain, everything on the Western side of the state is dropping. Granted flows are at what is a normal year's peak - so still high, but not unfishable. In 10 days I think you will have high but very fish-able water.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM

deanm2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dean MT

Thanks for the encouragement! We have our fingers crossed...our plans were to go to Boulder/Stillwater area...working on back up plans - maybe head towards you a little - Wise/Big Hole, Rock Creek etc..

As I posted earlier, in 20 odd years of trips in later July/early August we have had to change plans due to bear closures, low water, warm water, forest fires, camp fire bans and such. We have even been run off lakes up in the Beartooths because of 100 zillion mosquitoes....Change in plans is expected, but this is a first due to too much water (runoff) this late and of course it is a little more challenging in that it covers just about everything from you down to Cody it seems. We come to fish but we also realize how fortunate we are to be able to share your part of the country - even for a short time - every year. Maybe the fishing won't be we we hope, but we know the trip, ultimately will be.

Sorry, didn't mean to high jack this thread....but maybe that is another DIY helpful hint: go with an open mind, take it all in, think of fishing as a bonus
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

No problem Dean(s),

I hope your trip goes well. Flexibility is key I guesss. dhayden answered the felt question for me so no worries

Take care.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hello All,

My buddy and I have decided on September of 2012 and we have begun the planning. We found a place in Missoula to rent a small van/camper and figured that would be a good way to remain mobile and double as a place to sleep. We will concentrate on the Missoula area and branch out from there for some extended trips if need be. Now we just need to decide where to fish and where we can pull over to get some sleep. Let the fun begin.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

another way to gauge local knowledge is to hit the local fishing forums. I'm sure if you search around google for MONTANA FISHING FORUMS or such terms you'll come up with a bunch.
I did exactly that for a recent trip to Maine and was able to get great information from local fishermen and fishing stores. More often than not if you shoot a store an email or call they'll give you tons of info. Maybe this part is for when you have the plan laid down, but keep it in mind.

BTW...welcome to the forum

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-02-2011, 02:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Hello All,

My buddy and I have decided on September of 2012 and we have begun the planning. We found a place in Missoula to rent a small van/camper and figured that would be a good way to remain mobile and double as a place to sleep. We will concentrate on the Missoula area and branch out from there for some extended trips if need be. Now we just need to decide where to fish and where we can pull over to get some sleep. Let the fun begin.
That sounds like a great plan, and Missoula is nice base camp. It's been mine for dozen years! You have a full year to plan, that is good too. Just stay in touch and as the trip gets closer I'd be happy to keep you informed on conditions, etc. Also feel free to PM me if you have questions specific to Missoula and the area.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Dean_MT,

Thank you for the PM info. The Van/camper company that I found has not responded yet but I hope to hear from them soon. Their service and vehicles appear to be a great solution for us. I just hope that we can make it happen.

My Thoughts;

I have seen Montana many times on the television and several thousand times in my dreams. My dreams have indicated that I may have caught and released the largest trout in the state. Dreams are funny, I have never been in the state, the fish was never removed from the water, never seen by my friends, never caught on film, and never touched by my hands. The simple fact that it was a wild trout and landed as the sun set is what I remember most. nothing else matters.

You, and your group of friends on this site, are the best. I look forward to posting updates as my (our )planning progresses. Sorry for getting creepy

Take care.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Hello all,

Does anybody have any recent (5-10 Sept) fishing reports in the Missoula area? I hope to be in that area this time next year and just wondering what kind of things to look for or expect. We did get in touch with the van/camper company but they are in the middle of revamping their fleet and pricing. Rather than post the company on this site, feel free to send me a PM and I will give you the contact info.

Take care.

Last edited by dharkin; 09-10-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-10-2011, 03:42 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds like your planning a great trip.