The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default re: Lewis and Harks Montana Exp of 2012

We are doing our best. I'm sure that this is the place to make it happen
Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Hello all,

Does anybody have any recent (5-10 Sept) fishing reports in the Missoula area? I hope to be in that area this time next year and just wondering what kind of things to look for or expect. We did get in touch with the van/camper company but they are in the middle of revamping their fleet and pricing. Rather than post the company on this site, feel free to send me a PM and I will give you the contact info.

Take care.
Recent Report: Awesome fishing.

This year is not, by any stretch, a normal year. I floated the upper Blackfoot last week and it was amazing. The water temps are fluctuating between 50 - 58 degrees. There is still 2/3 more flow than a normal year.

The Clark Fork on the other hand has been in a funk all summer. Lots of speculation about the dam removal just upstream of Missoula, also the runoff and flooding was big.

Bitteroot is low and technical.

Rock Creek is flowing nicely and the fishin is easy, for the most part.

Personally, I would wait another week or two. Beginning of September is usually still summer, just the end of it. It's been 90 degrees for the past week. Wait till the middle of September at the earliest, the 15th. Tricos will be hatching stronger, BWO, October Caddis (big huge orange caddis) on the Blackfoot and Rock Ck...

That's what I would wait for. As a matter of fact, it IS exactly what I'm waiting for!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Too funny Dean_MT,

What a great report (for us that is). We are planning from the 15th to the 22nd of next year for now. We are trying to learn as much as we can to prepare for a trip to the Missoula area. We figured the crowds would be less and the temps would be better for everything in general. I know some of the folks that read this thread think that we may be "thinking too much" but there is no such thing as "too much information" or "too much planning" if you ask me.

We are doing our best to plan the trip of a lifetime that will last 7 -10 days at the most. Two guys, in a van/camper, with no local knowledge. What could go wrong?

Tight lines and thank you again for the info.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Does anybody have the latest water temp reports for the waters in the Missoula area? Just curious.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

All the info you want will be found here:

USGS Real-Time Data for Montana_ Streamflow

If you do some clicking around you'll learn how to figure out what average flows are for specific days, water temps past and present etc.

To keep you jonesing and informed, this is a great Missoula report, and Jim - the guy that writes these things - is quite entertaining as well.
Missoula Fishing Report
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Outstanding! Thank you sir.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Rod cases can be shipped ahead of time. Airlines like to charge a bunch for those long rod tubes!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM

I have a couple of 4 pc rods that I will bring with me on the flight. We don'thave a location to ship rods to but that would be my choice if I was going to be staying at a location for sure.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Happy New Year to all,

This is the year that I get to go to Montana for the first time. I am really looking forward to it. I wish that I could rename the thread but I don't think that can be done.

My buddy and I are starting to nail down the details and have already encountered our first "snag".

It appears that our camper rental company no longer has an office in Missoula. Due to the specific vehicles, equipment, and overall package that they offer, we are left with a rather tough logistical situation/decision. Although our plan was to fly into Missoula, we will now have to fly into Spokane, WA. We will have to take a shuttle (1.5 hrs) to coeur d'alene Idaho to pick up the vehicle, and then drive (about 2.5 hrs) to experience the Missoula area if we wish to use their campers!

Bummer? Not sure yet. I understand that it will add some time but after all, we are after an adventure. Has anyone ever driven from coeur d'alene Idaho to Missoula, Montana? I bet there are places to fish and sites that will last a lifetime.

Just trying to keep you guys up to date

Take care.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Happy New Year to all,

This is the year that I get to go to Montana for the first time. I am really looking forward to it. I wish that I could rename the thread but I don't think that can be done.

My buddy and I are starting to nail down the details and have already encountered our first "snag".

It appears that our camper rental company no longer has an office in Missoula. Due to the specific vehicles, equipment, and overall package that they offer, we are left with a rather tough logistical situation/decision. Although our plan was to fly into Missoula, we will now have to fly into Spokane, WA. We will have to take a shuttle (1.5 hrs) to coeur d'alene Idaho to pick up the vehicle, and then drive (about 2.5 hrs) to experience the Missoula area if we wish to use their campers!

Bummer? Not sure yet. I understand that it will add some time but after all, we are after an adventure. Has anyone ever driven from coeur d'alene Idaho to Missoula, Montana? I bet there are places to fish and sites that will last a lifetime.

Just trying to keep you guys up to date

Take care.
Send me a PM with the change you want to the thread title and I will make sure it gets update! Bummer about the camper rental company change and best of luck with your fishing trip, sounds like lots of fun despite the logistics issues with the camper.

Note: I changed the title of the thread to better fit the adventure to "Lewis and Harks Montana Exp of 2012" as requested.

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.