The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 AM

kingbiscuit is on a distinguished road
Default Planning dream fishing trip with brother. Need Help!

So me and my brother grew up fishing together. We both love stream fishing in the mountains. He got me into it when I was 10, now we're both in our 30s and we want to plan a real dedicated flyfishing trip together. This is the first time we have really had vacation and $ both at the same time, and knowing my brother with $ it may be the last time.

So if you could go anywhere in the Rockies where would you go? We are heading out of kansas city metro area. Colorado is convenient, but we are willing to make the haul out to WY, MT or ID if the prime fishing is there. Ideally we are looking for good sized fish, and beautiful streams within a days backpacking (~ 4-5 miles) or even better a short hike (~ mile) from the car.

I fish in the Sierras some, and it is fun, but I would like to hook into something in the 14 inch + range. I honestly have never had to break out the net on the small sierra streams. But I would like to have that happen this trip. Lake fishing is not my thing. Being on the river is half the experience for me, but catching a fish makes it that much better.

Not looking for anyone's secret spot. Just some general areas would be great!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Planning dream fishing trip with brother. Need Help!

Hi King,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for trip suggestions. I will defer from making any and allow the members currently living in the area provide the pointers. If you guys had the $ a flight to Anchorage and then over to Bristol Bay would get you into the best Rainbow fishing I have heard of. However Colorado can provide an equally good experience with a lot less expense. I used to live in and fish CO. it is a great place to fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 PM

medicine bow is on a distinguished road

Hi Kingbiscuit,

An area that meets your requirements is the Snowy Range. There's some great fishing on some small streams and lakes. You can hike in and fish or camp and fish. To get to some bigger fish head down to the S. Platte that is close by. You can get there in a day from Kansas.

You could spend a bunch of time up there on the small streams and not see another person. Some of the lakes hold decent bigger fish. It wouldn't cost a fortune to do what you describe.

You could then do a float trip out of or in to Saratoga. It's one of the better "unknown" fishing areas.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

I am a bit biased but Montana will offer you the best access to the most water due to Montana having a very friendly stream access law. Wyoming and Colorado both have laws that don't allow you to step foot on the streambed unless it is owned by the feds, state or public. All three states provide some great fishing opportunities and you won't go wrong in any of the three great Rocky Mountain States.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
I am a bit biased but Montana will offer you the best access to the most water due to Montana having a very friendly stream access law. Wyoming and Colorado both have laws that don't allow you to step foot on the streambed unless it is owned by the feds, state or public. All three states provide some great fishing opportunities and you won't go wrong in any of the three great Rocky Mountain States.

Thanks for the info. It is always good to know which states laws are more relaxed about fishing. I don't have a problem with regulations and I am a mostly C/R fisherman, but it gets to the point sometimes where I would rather just stay home. CA can get that way sometimes. Especially when you mix in camping permits etc.

Any particular areas you would suggest in Montana? Scenic areas are definitely a plus.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My idea of a dream trip would be this:

Fly in to Salt Lake City, UT, rent a vehicle and make Utah's Green RIver below Flaming Gorge Dam your first stop.
Next would be to travel up I-15 to the Idaho Falls area and fish the South Fork of the Snake River - best with a guide, Tim at South Fork Outfitters would be a good choice.
Next, move north to the Island Park area and fish the Henry's Fork of the Snake River, Henry's Lake and surrounding waters. Henry's Fork Anglers would be another good choice for this area.
Then, move north again to the West Yellowstone area, contact Blue Ribbon Flies and arrange to fish the Madison River in Montana as well as several rivers within Yellowstone Park.
You can't go wrong with this combo and you will have memories to last a lifetime.
Me, I live right in the middle of it all, so I get to live this dream on a regular basis.

Kelly.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Finances strike again! My bro is broke. Looks like I am going to be fishing up in the Adirondacks. Not that that is too bad either. If we don't make it on the dream trip by the time I'm 35, I'm just going to buy him a christmas gift for life and fly us both to Alaska for some real backcountry fishing.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A trip that can be done fairly cheap is camping in RMNP on the edge of the backcountry and hike in for your fishing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.