The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default First High Lake Trip of the Season

A couple friends and I hiked into a favorite alpine lake to fish and experience the first high lake hike of the season. We accomplished the hike and wet some streamers, but the fishing ? not so much.

Winds were brutal and unrelenting, gusting to 35 mph at least. We bagged it at around 10:30.

There was a lot of chop on the water and when we first arrived Kyle and Jon each thought they saw a fish. (fishful thinking?) There is very little ice left on the lakes and with the winds I'm sure the last of it will be gone by today. There is, however, very little shoreline accessible due to snow shelves down to and into the lake. We just missed seeing a large chunk of snow shelf (about 150 feet) sluff off and drop into the water. We did see the wave it created roll across the lake. This served as a good reminder not to walk out onto the snow shelf if you don't want to wind up cold and soaked or worse, dead.
Click the image to open in full size.

Temps were around high 60's but the wind chill was around mid to upper 30's and was enough to make your hands and face cold and your nose to run.

After about 15 minutes of fruitless streamer chucking and getting hit hard in the back of my head by a cone head woolly bugger (it didn't stick), I just put the rod down and moved around taking pictures. I brought three lenses with me, 18-55mm, 80-200mm, and my super wide 11-16mm. I never even put the 80-200 on the camera opting for the wide shots instead.

Just as we finished breaking down and putting on our packs Jon saw a fish swimming off shore. Then as we got down around the lower lake the wind stopped dead. Total calm. Then a few small gusts. Then some breeze, not too bad. We thought about going back up but...nah. The winds did pick up again by the time we reached the parking lot, we ate some Sammies and hit the road.

Jon wanted me to shoot some pictures of him with his Deuter pack so he would have some shots for the blog he is writing for them. He is accumulating a massive bag of swag from these companies. Click the image to open in full size. More power to ya kid.

Jon modeling the Deuter Futurama red/gray/black backpack, shown here with optional fly fishing accoutrements.

On the way in.

At the lake.

Some shots from around the lake. I was surprised by the number of wildflowers already out around the lake.

Our little corner of marshy shoreline.

Scoping out the outlet on the way out.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First High Lake Trip of the Season

Wow that's a beautiful place you fished YatLooks like a very quiet and peaceful area(Frank would say there was no rabble present)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful pictures! What camera do you have? Were you using a filter to get that great contrasting sky? If so, which one? (I'm still working to improve my SLR skills.)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Great shots Yat! At what altitude is the lake? milt.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Notenuftoys, at those altitudes the sky is much darker naturally, no filter. I'm using a Nikon D7000. All these pics were taken with a Nikkor 18-55mm and a Tokina 11-16mm lens.
Milt, the upper lake is at 11,000 feet.
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: I have to agree with the others, great trip report and photos, you can see the wind on the water in that first shot! Sorry the fishing wasn't any better. I had a similar experience on the upper Green River on Sunday, I just drove up to take a look, but the wind was really howling and runoff hasn't let up yet. I wanted to get up to the lakes but I ran out of time, so that is still on my to do list.

Larry

Larry
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM

hound_hunter is on a distinguished road

Awesome location, what a treat to have a place like that to visit every year.