The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 04:32 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Expected River Levels for Mid July in Yellowstone?

I'll pose this question to the local yokels living up there in God's country. With the snow pack being quite high last winter and the rivers raging right now, what do you expect the rivers will be like in mid-July (when I'll be visiting Yellowstone)? I was hoping to catch part of the Salmon fly hatch (which I've never seen) or at least get some good fishing in but with the runoff being so strong what are you guys seeing or predicting?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Expected River Levels for Mid July in Yellowstone?

There's places to fish now.. you just might have to look a little harder

A local fly shop:

Montana Troutfitters

If you're near West yellowstone, there's many shops to get up to date information when you're here

or in Gardner

Parks' Fly Shop
Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

Do yourself a favor...book Depuys or Armstrongs if you can get a rod.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

There will be plenty of options in mid-July, though some of them won't be the usual bets for that timeframe. There's a good chance you'll be able to see some Salmonflies.

In detail: Parks' Fly Shop and Yellowstone Fisheries News

In brief:
Firehole: AM better, probably. White Miller caddis and PMD.
Madison: similar to Firehole, but will fish all day.
Gibbon: Drakes in the meadows late AM, attractors in the canyon PM.
Gardner: Salmonflies, either nymph or dry, plus smaller attractors, caddis, and flashy attractor nymphs.
Lakes: all except probably Yellowstone and Lewis/Shoshone will be fishing well. Flashy beadheads, soft hackles, Callibaetis, damselflies, maybe a few big caddis. Big draws of park lakes are grayling in Grebe, Cascade, and Wolf.
Gallatin: still high but dropping. Probably a nymph show.
Slough Creek: streamers in the lower meadow. Lots of mosquitoes. Maybe some drakes. Upper meadows probably still too high.
Soda Butte/Lamar: probably still too high.
Yellowstone: probably still too high.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Expected River Levels for Mid July in Yellowstone?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking forward to wetting a line since it's been almost 4 months since I've done so. I'm taking my son out this afternoon to teach him how to cast my 5 wt. I'm hoping for some resemblance of the Salmon Fly hatch and hoping he can get fish that way.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about

Its 'mid July' right now of course; so I expect your leaving (or arriving soon)?

In West Yellowstone Park on the Madison, Gibbons, or Firehole you should have fun; while waters around the North Entrance / Gardner/Park remain blown. The place to be RIGHT NOW is on the Upper Madison, but in a drift boat only I'd say. Might be worth hiring a guide to float between Lyons and McAtee; as the salmon fly hatch has moved that far upriver and no longer down around Varney.

You'll need to be here in the next week to ten days though; to take advantage of this. The Yellowstone River itself remains unfishable as does the Gallatin and likley until the last week of July or the 1st of August depending on who's guessing..?

Both though will be insane once they clear...and just in time for hoppers!!

Moe
.Moe Bird Hunts