The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Question Beaverhead...a few pics and a weekly report..

Click the image to open in full size.

I was there last week and the fishing was spectacular (given it was my first time on her..)...I was just happy not to get blanked.

An older fishing buddy of mine Fred invited to "...show me the ways of the beave.."; and I accepted.... I'd thought I had this all down after highschool, but apparently much was still to be learned "...my young padawan...?"

We debated for hours (five minutes max) whether in fact - this shot I took, from this exact angle, showed "what appears to be a HUGE beaver swimming across the horizon"; was '..why they now called it the Beaverhead'...?!

..We're still not sure, but we fished her anyway..(and intend to again this week)..

...This was clearlly gonna be 'a nymphing game' so we took what we had, but were wise enough to stop and ask 'the Dillon Guru' too (Tim Tollett) and he sold us a half dozen flies a piece - called "...Yellow PT-Cruisers..." and we absolutely raked fish off of them all day..?!

....Your 'standard caddis emerger', fished by Master Fred, didn't do too bad either...

...Because of flooding in the resevior itself..; We were notified that the this summer of course (once engineers' appranetly okay'd the dam...); that waters would the nearly-double coming out of the spillway (something to keep an eye on and call).

(CORRECTION) Flows are fine right now, doofus Fred was reading wrong chart last night...disregard all previously posted info. Just got word "Beaverhead is same flow as last week, unchanged but 50 cfs". Bridges are of no concern till she spikes during Summer and only then is one an issue and most McKenize Boats can still be used when she's running high.

Moe

.....Moe Bird Hunts

Last edited by moe b; 07-05-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Correction on flows and conditions..
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 AM

professor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beaverhead...a few pics and a weekly report..

Moe, what size yellow pt cruizers were you using if I may ask. Are they the ones in the second row of you fly box picture.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Question Re: Beaverhead...a few pics and a weekly report..

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
Moe, what size yellow pt cruizers were you using if I may ask. Are they the ones in the second row of you fly box picture.
I think we mostly used 16 and 18's, but understand even 14's are good. I fished them alone mostly because the wind got ugly later in the day. Fred (I changed my friend's name so I could make more fun of him on here) doesnt use indicators and is 'old school' or 'a purist' or just stubborn and misses alot more fish than I do using them.

The Pheasant tail (PT Cruzers) we used below are some of Tollett's own styled pattern (I butchered his name first time) and he ties them in all manner of colors, and we bought several, but yellow just worked best this trip. I'm definately gonna use them on all my fishing now, not just on the Beaverhead.

Moe

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

So it appears I really donít know what the heck Iím talking about when it comes to this river; so itíd be best I just stick with taking pretty pictures and recording flows and conditions to what I experience while on it; and skip my bogus predictions of what might or might not occur later next week or even this Summer.

I just woke up and rechecked the flows Fred told me over the phone late last night and he mustíve been reading the charts for around Barrettís, instead of whatís coming out of Clarks Canyon; so I had all but given up on taking the boat, but now we might after all (not sure)?

Iíll post an update here tonight or tomorrow (on whichever river we decide) and will kindly eliminate all future juvenile reference to Star Wars and ďthe ForceĒ. Thatís Fredís fault, heís a bit of a middle aged geek, but a good fishing buddy when he can pry himself away from his obsessive wife and crazy kids (rare).

We're off here in mere minutes...Wish us luck!

Moe
Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 AM

For continuation of above story/report; refer to Big Hole Thread....

Moe
Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

outstanding pics!

nice report!

casey

ARFE