The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 AM

scoobysteve is on a distinguished road
Default Hog Park Creek, Wy

I'll be in Wyoming next weekend(24-27th) and was wondering about Hog Park Creek. I'm hoping to find some fishable moving water and this popped in my head. I've been wanting to fish it for years and sounds like a good place to camp. Is it currently fishable? How far of a drive is it from the town of Encampment?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hog Park Creek, Wy

scoobysteve: We are currently in spring run off and all the streams are flooding, but the good news is that I think we are past the peak, by next week Hog Park might be fishable. You might try calling North Park Anglers in Walden, CO or maybe Stoney Creek Outfitters in Saratoga, WY for current conditions. Check this site out, it says the campground will not be open in 2010 for dead tree removal.
Facility Details - Recreation.gov, Hog Park Campground (WY) - Recreation.gov

Here are some photos that Lambster took when he fished Hog Park Creek a couple years ago. He is a member of the forum you might PM him for details.
Georgia Fly Guide Fish Stories

Larry
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM

medicine bow is on a distinguished road

I'll be going through Encampment tomorrow and then up to the Snowies. I can give a report when I return Sun. evening. I hear the runoff is really heavy. In fact our road washed out and we just got it repaired.

I have the fly rods packed but am not expecting much due to the runoff. I may have a bunch of stream cleanup to do.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Have you considered the Encampment River? I may check it out if I get to the Jamboree.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM

My understanding of hog park creek around the reservoir is that it is very high up in the drainage and so might still be fishable even during runoff as the total amount of water is still relatively low. That and I thought maybe flows out of the reservoir might be lower than those into the reservoir. Thanks for pointing out the campground closure, that would have been a huge inconvenience. How long does it take to get the the reservoir from Encampment?

medicine bow: Please do give a report. Any info is appreciated. All I have to go off of are flow charts. I hadn't thought about the Encampment. I assumed it would be too high. That and I've never had any luck there at all. When looking here: USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06625000 ENCAMPMENT RIVER AT MOUTH, NEAR ENCAMPMENT, WY at what gage height does it become wadeable?

If neither of those are down enough it looks like the Laramie at Jelm could be wadable. I've fished it before and did ok. Thoughts on the Laramie?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hog Park Reservoir is about 20-25 miles south of Encampment, it probably takes 45 minutes driving time. You are probably right about the water levels. If you have been watching the levels we are past the peak and the water is coming down, so I'm just guessing but Hog Park Creek is probably wadeable.

The Laramie is pretty high (flooded) in town, but it has also peaked. The flow at Woods Landing a week ago was around 2,400 CFS and today it is reported at 533 CFS so it should be wadeable.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06659502 LARAMIE R BL PIONEER CANAL, NR WOODS LANDING, WY

Larry
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Is that flow station on the Laramie pretty indicative of flows above Woods Landing? The reason I ask is because it says "below Pioneer Canal" and there are some pretty abrupt changes in flow which I assume has to do with diverting water from the river.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

To tell you the truth I don't know. Just guessing I'm thinking it is downstream of Woods Landing, but could be wrong. I'll call around and see if I can find an answer for you.

Larry
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Last weekend the fishing wasn't real great. I only managed to catch one fish on Barrett Creek in the Snowies. The runoff was still fairly decent. This weekend is a different story. The runoff is diminishing. I lost track of the number of fish I caught. They seemed to really like #16 Royal Wulff's.

The first brown I caught was a very heavy 12" fish. I was surprised at the girth of the fish and of course I left my camera at the cabin. I didn't catch anymore near that size.

I'm going to attempt to upload some pics. This is the first time I've tried it so I hope it works.

I noticed the N.Platte is still running pretty heavy as is the Little Laramie.

OK, how do I submit pics from my hard drive? The link wants a URL.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.
I hope this works

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Administrator

medicine bow: Thanks for posting the trip report! The forum doesn't allow posting photos directly from your computer. You need to first create a photo gallery, upload your photos there and then use the yellow rectangular icon with a mountain on it to link from the gallery to your thread. Or another method is to upload the photos to photo bucket and then link from there.

Larry
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Thanks. After a little research I saw that. I've uploaded pics but still can't get them to post. I'll have to play with it later in the week.

Anyway, i've placed some pics in my gallery.