The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default New Fork 07/28/2011

It is both sad and joyous that on July 28th I got in my first float of the 2011 summer season. We have waited what seems forever and a day for the river flows to come down to fishing level. For my Boss and good friend Greg and I yesterday was the day!!

We floated the lower stretch of the New Fork River just South of Pinedale, WY. Though it is a long hour and a half drive to the put in it is well worth it. The New Fork is a lot like the Green just a little smaller. Slowly meandering through high mountain meadows it offers the opportunity to catch some big browns and rainbows. It is not a difficult stream to float due to it's slow pace and lack of rapids and few obstructions. Most the fishing is along beautiful under cut banks and a few riffles. It seems custom built for great streamer fishing.

We put in about 10:00AM and only float about 20 yards before finding several fish rising to the very prolific Grey Drake hatch. With so many naturals on the water it was tough to get a fish to take an artificial. I started out on the oars while Greg tried to temp the fish with a selection of dries. In the first hour Greg missed a couple takes and had a few LDR's ( long distance releases ). But his persistence paid off and he landed a nice 23" Brown.
Click the image to open in full size.

Then it was my turn on the rod. The hatch had died down a bit so as per usual I went with a streamer. I started out with bighornflies Area 51 in brown and yellow. Brown and yellow being a killer color combo on the New Fork and Green rivers. Yesterday being no exception! I moved several large fish. Also having several takes a couple of which were really nice fish. All of which ended up as LDR's. For some reason that I have been unable to figure out I have trouble keeping fish on the hook with articulated flies. After about an hour I switch to a Yellow Zoo Cougar. I moved several more fish and had a few more bumps. Then once again persistence paid off!!

We switched off at the oars a couple more times. Greg stayed with the dry action while I continued with the streamers. We both missed several more opportunities proving once again there is a reason they call it fishing and not catching!! LOL.

All in all a great day. The weather was perfect. Water quality was about 75% and should be 100 by next week. One and only problem we ran in to was the take out we chose. I would recommend not using the Gas Wells to take out. This is due to there not really being a take out!! There is just a 5ft drop from the parking area. As water levels drop it will only keep higher. And winching your boat straight up the bank is a chore and a half, not to mention a real abuse of your boat and trailer.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Last edited by Davo; 07-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Re: New Fork 07/28/2011

Great Pics,

Yes it has been a late start this season, but the fishing has been great and continues to get better. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Congratulations getting on the water, Davo! How sweet it (FINALLY) is! Nice fish.

Close to the same situation here in W MT. The waters have been dropping very hard for the past two weeks and conditions are in prime early summer mode, albeit it is almost August! We missed most of the Green Drake hatch already, but there are a lot of bugs out these days.

Heading out of town tonight to fish and sleep a couple nights along one of my favorite little streams here. I can't wait to get out of town!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Dean

Good luck and have a great trip. Bring back photos to share!!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent report and pics, Davo. Glad you finally made it out. The Teton and South Fork are both finally fishable, as well as having the clarity much improved so I expect to hear some good reports soon.

Kelly.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Kelly

Everything is dropping really good right now. The upper Snake will still be awhile as the Buffalo Fork is always the last to clear. Good to hear the Teton is getting fishable, it's on my list for this year. Let you all know when I hit it!!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Gorgeous fish Dave!
I think next week that water will be on fire, looking forward to hangin' with the NAFFF crew.

I better go check the candy box and see how many zoo cougars are in there.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 PM

John

By next week the water should be 100% clear. Don't know if the Drakes will be around or not, but the golden stones will be. So be sure to bring some attractors too. All they streamers you can get your hands on would be a good bet as well!! Almost forgot...... bring a couple of gallonsa of bug spray for the put ins and take outs. Mosquito's are thick!!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I'll be fishing the Buffalo Fork in a couple of weeks, so I hope you're right and it clears up soon!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Poke em

You should be good in two weeks. Have a good time and don't forget to share the photos!!