The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Green River below the lakes?

Today I had the chance to go down to the green river for work. I work at the Dubois fish hatchery and today we stocked some fish in the Green River below the lakes. I loved the look of the country, and there were fish busting the surface everywhere. I only have to work half a day on friday, so I am planning a weekend trip down to the area. I have never fished in this area, so it is all new to me. Will I be able to wade fish a decent amount of river? what types of flies should I be picking up. If somebody could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Also, if you are in the area and want to join, feel free, I love fishing with other people. Feel free to PM me with any knowledge you can share about this area. Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green River below the lakes?

SDF,
Actually a few of us(myself, Cromney, Davo, and maybe Mcnerney) are planning to be in the area Wednesday night until Saturday sometime. At this point it looks like we'll be camping above Warren Bridge @ the second campground. When are you planning on being there?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I plan on being down there sometime Friday afternoon. I was planning on taking Union Pass rd from Dubois to the section of the Green about 5 miles below Green River Lakes. We actually stocked fish from warren bridge up through the public access sites today. very good looking water, but it's a bit longer trip for me. my plans are not final yet. Let me know what you guys plan on doing and maybe we can meet up.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
I loved the look of the country, and there were fish busting the surface everywhere.
When I was there, almost all those fish busting the surface were whitefish. Drove us crazy because we didn't know and couldn't hook the buggers.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
When I was there, almost all those fish busting the surface were whitefish. Drove us crazy because we didn't know and couldn't hook the buggers.
Good point! Reminds me of a float that Davo, Fysh and I did a few years back from just above Warren Bridge to the Fish Hatchery. About midway we hit a spot that had lots of surface feeding activity. Fysh really got into some great whitefish once he figured out what they were feeding on.

Larry

Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Back in the late 90's we fished above the Warren Bridge and it was loaded with White Fish. I caught one Rainbow and all the other fishw ere White Fish.

Frank
Old 08-02-2011, 01:00 PM

I have no problem with catching whitefish. call me weird, but I actually like to catch them. I haven't caught any yet this summer, but with high flows, I haven't been able to get into my whitefish spots yet. I am just looking to fish some new water. I have been fishing the wind river, the east fork, and the wiggins a lot over the past three years. it's time to make a trip