The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default First float of the year

Wow, it seems like August 13 is pretty late for the first float-fish trip of the year. That's because it is. The river levels here are generally 3 weeks late, the Clark Fork is flowing at July 20 flows. Which is perfect. So I headed West of town with a couple friends, we left early to beat the afternoon heat and wind, both can be brutal on the lower Clark Fork.

We got to Forest Grove by 7:30am. It was actually chilly, about 51 degrees! No sun on the water yet.

Click the image to open in full size.

The PMD hatch was late, I picked up a nice little cuttbow on a small streamer. Then decided to switch to a PMD combo, parachute with a little soft hackle emerger I came up with the night before - because this is why we love the Clark Fork...big rainbows that love to rise to dry flies.

I saw this rainbow rise as we were just on it, got my fly over it and he took the dropper. Nice fish (bad pic), pushing 17-18".

At the mouth of Trout Creek the fish were stacked up. My buddy picked up another nice bow and missed/lost a couple more.

Beautiful day, we actually got some cloud cover.

All in all it was great day out. We didn't see any pods of big risers that make the Clark Fork famous (around here). But we picked up fish at slow pace all day.

The last part of this section is a big, featureless lake-like stretch. This is where the sun and upstream wind can really beat you down at the end of a long day. The light breeze was pleasant and we could have a cold beer and drift to the take out.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

moose13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First float of the year

Looks like fun!
I have only done 2 floats this year on the N. Platte also due to high water levels. Hopefully can do one this week sometime. Last year i did 17 floats. I got some catching up to do.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Nice to see all around the state.

Looks likes the Yellowstone is ready now too.. have to head over there next week
Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Dean

Congrats on getting out!! Every where is late this year it seems. Good report and thanks for the pics!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dean: Congrats on getting out and having a great float! I also understand we haven't been out much either with all the high water we have had this year.

Larry

Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Tough year all around for us here in the west. Beautiful river, hope to fish it some day. Added to the bucket list.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reading along, gentlemen.

I've another trip planned for the first week of September, I anticipate things will really get rocking here soon. The hopper "hatch" hasn't really gotten hot yet, and maybe it won't but maybe it will! It was 48 degrees this morning at 8 a.m. -- such a mild August I can't believe it.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Nice to see all around the state.

Looks likes the Yellowstone is ready now too.. have to head over there next week
That's good to hear, Dave. All I've heard is that has been pretty ugly. I'm going to be at Chico for a conference the last week of September...I certainly hope I can slip away for a couple hours one of those days.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dean

The hoppers here are just now showing, should be pretty good in another week or two. Saturday, I did a float with Trout Creek Flies on the Green River below Flaming Gorge, we nymphed in the am and threw hoppers in the afternoon, got a few takes on the hopper but nothing like the nymphs in the am.

Larry

Old 08-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Larry, the hoppers are around...my yard. I've been seeing some nice big ones so I am holding out hope. We fished Chernobyls in the afternoon on Saturday and we had fish looking up. No big charges, not yet.

If you guys head N to fish, the Clark Fork is great fall option - easy floats, streamers, hoppers and tricos - a little of something for everyone. O yeah, and nice big rocket rainbows.

Last edited by dean_mt; 08-16-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very good report and picsThis river looks great! Thanks for sharing.