The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Taos area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/178770-taos-area.html)

countr21 09-01-2011 11:36 PM

Taos area

Hello all,

The wife and I are going down to Taos, NM for 4-5 days in middle of October. We are both strong hikers and wanted to hit up some trails into the alpine and possibly fish some high lakes.

My question is are there any decent high lakes that hold trout in the mountains around Taos? I would be willing to drive 30-40 miles to the trailhead.

Thanks

cimarron 09-02-2011 08:34 AM

Re: Taos area

Hi countr21 - Not familiar with fishing around the Taos area, I'm sure any of the angler stores there in Taos can give you suggestions. If you can drive up to Red River, ask in the Starr angler about Lost Lake or Middle Fork lake. They have a nice hike into either of them. Now, if you really want solitude and wilderness, go on to the Valle Vidal area, north of Taos about 2 hrs. You should be able to get info there in Taos. Luck, Glen

the_infidel 09-03-2011 07:37 PM

if you can find the time, i highly suggest eagle's Nest Lake, the Cimmaron flows out of it, one of the most beautiful lakes i have ever seen

newtofly 09-13-2011 07:43 AM

Just got back from the Cimmaron and had a blast catching browns and bows for a couple days. Fishing was great there. Eagle Nest lake is a little down and mossy right now, but it is a beautiful place. Valle Vidal is highly recommended, but I have not been there. I think we will do that next time. Let us know if you go there and how the fishing was. Hope you have a great hike and fishing adventure.

cimarron 09-13-2011 02:44 PM

Hi,newtofly: Leaving for Cimarron this week-end. Thought I'd wait till a little later this year. Hope aspen are turning and elk are bugleing! Been watching fishing reports of the area and all look good. Will spend most of my time in Valle vidal on Costilla creek and Comanche creek hunting for cutthroat. Flows look great and NMDW have been stocking pretty regularly. Most of all looks like the wind has died down, Hooray! The area is a little lacking of rainfall, the Shuree ponds look down as is Eagle's nest. Will give report when I return in about 10 days. Glad you had an great trip! Luck, Glen

newtofly 09-13-2011 03:32 PM

Awesome Cimarron! You should have a great trip. Caught most fish on the droper, a bead head phesant tail in a 16-18 or something comprable. Did get on a couple of hatches and had a good time dryflying it. We fished the Red, but with all the rain it was super chalky so I spent my time at Cimarron and caught a bunch, 8 one evening and 15 the next day. The guys at RR fly shop told us to try Costilla Creek, but we didn't make it. Let me know how it goes. Good Luck!

cimarron 09-25-2011 08:42 PM

Just got back from New Mexico, Valle vidal, and Cimarron. Great trip, the weather couldn't have been better! Started off fishing the Palisades area of the Cimarron river. They just dumped a bunch of stockers in the stream and I think I found them. Caught 14 on a green sparkle wooly bugger #12 and a #16 Barr's emerger nymph. Then the family from Hell came along and I quit. Don't get me on that, except that I remembered why I don't like the Cimarron. Then drove up to Valle vidal( through Questa and Costilla) and camped in Cimarron campground( 1/2 mile from Shuree pond). The pond was reported as being 10 feet low. It is, but once you get out through the weeds into deeper middle you can fish pretty well from your float. We trolled a #12 olive wooly bugger, #12 hare's ear BH, and a few others. I tried a #6 double bead head Golden stone nymph for about a 1/2 hour and caught a beautiful 18-20 incher that was very fat and healthy. I did this against my better judgment, but I guess it takes big lures to catch big fish! There were 8 float tubers on the pond at one time, more than I usually see for late Sept. I think the word has gotten out about the place, darn it! Next day, fished the Rio Costilla, both upper and lower streams. I don't like the upper as well as the lower. Used #12-16 nymphs for starters including #12 damsel, #16 Barr's emerger, #12 hare's ear. Then later in day went to elk hair caddis dry fly #12. Caught a nice 10" first cast. Wound up catching another 8 fish on that bug. The stream was flowing around 18 cfs and was a bit slow but very fishable. We both caught about 12 fish each. I don't think there was a lot of difference in results between a #12 nymph or a #16 nymph, but they seemed to like the small #16 dries. We fished 2 more days with about the same results, except the upper Costilla wasn't as productive as the lower, don't know why. We had a very aggressive bear visit the campground for 2 nights in a row. I didn't get to see it which is fine, I don't like things that go bump in the night, especially when in a tent! I got to break in my new bamboo rod on a few stream trout. Still undecided on it, that's a different story for anther time, maybe. Went with the 8' RS4 instead. And finally, ran into a guy that wanted my buddy and I to give him about 200 yds of stream that we stayed out of so we didn't spook the fish for him. I guess he though when he paid $20 to camp on the stream, that entitled him to 200 yds of stream all by himself. My buddy called him a "Dork"! Was that wrong? OK, that's my report, got to get planning for next year. Don't tell anybody about the Valle vidal, OK?