The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road
Default Update: Late Season Advice, please.

We had a great time. A couple of new fishes for both of us, grayling and cutthroats. I had a personal best with a 23" plus brown. A small stream near the south entrance to Yellowstone and Clarks fork were our favorites. I would like to see the Firehole with a major hatch going. Next on the list is some Pa. limestones. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Update: Late Season Advice, please.

Congrats on the big big Brownie! Did he come out of the small stream you mention? If so, even better...nothing like drilling a huge fish in small water. I will be out with my streamer wallet in search of one a fish like that for the rest of the fall.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Update: Late Season Advice, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill1948 View Post
I would like to see the Firehole with a major hatch going
We don't fish down there that often, but nailed it one time when they were taking PMG emergers, the whole river seemed to be full of trout snouts breaking the surface, coupled with the scenary and the bison wathcing us, an unforgetable day
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Late Season Advice, please.

To all,

What a great thread.

To all of you "locals" I hope you understand and cherish the waters around you and may I thank you for doing your part to preserve them and share some of their secrets. Although I am new to this site, your real time reports and willingness to share information is what I find the most appealing. My "DIY Trip 2012" will take place next September. The anticipation grows by the day and threads like these allow me to dream a bit as fall approaches and winter moves towards the Northeast.

Roadkill;

Just head west while you still can. Two grumpy old men, couple flyrods, a mission to catch fish? What could be better? Just do it and worry about the details later.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Late Season Advice, please.

Trying to post a couple of pics - may not work. Thanks.
The $70 all weather Kodak from Walmart gave me good service.

Pretty fish.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

My best after being released
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Congrats on the big big Brownie! Did he come out of the small stream you mention? If so, even better...nothing like drilling a huge fish in small water. I will be out with my streamer wallet in search of one a fish like that for the rest of the fall.
No the brown came out of the Green River, dredging a wooly and #10 yellow nymph. It may have seen the nymph as some of the salmon spawn. Lots of dead salmon in the green river. Also lots of vegetation floating in the water, made it hard to fish.