The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 PM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road
Default Late Season Advice, please.

OK, here's the deal. A couple of grumpy old men are thinking about loading the truck in Indiana and heading out west for a couple of weeks. The general area being Yellowstone. We're pure greenhorns to that area. Are we too late in the season? Thanks in advance. Take care, have fun...

Last edited by roadkill1948; 09-19-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Late Season Advice, please.

I need to allow our Rocky members to answer your question but thought I would respond so you don't think you are being ignored.

The fall color in Yellowstone Park is a sight to behold however I would look to fish outside the park at this time. Just a tad west is Idaho and opportunity for steelhead and fall migrating browns............... To the north there are too many options to mention.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM

moose13 is on a distinguished road

I am in Southern Wyoming and the trout fishing is on fire.
I have never fished Yellowstone, but have fished around Jackson and Pinedale Wy. I would talk to a local fly shop and you should be in good shape.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Roadkill,
No, it is not too late at all, infact things are really looking up for a good Fall Season of fishing.
I agree with Ard about looking outside of the Park. Idaho has some fantastic water within an hour of the park...the Henry's Fork, the South Fork, and Henry's Lake. The lake is always great fun in the Fall.

You have Montana just over the hill, the Madison and Gallatin are less than an hour away also.

How long will you be on the road? and is there anything specific your looking to experience?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I agree, the fishing has been and continues to be great out West. I just returned from a road trip though Idaho and Montana, the fishing was great. My personal lessons learned from this last trip. If fishing water that is easily accessible, use smaller fly’s and pay much more attention to presentation, etc. If you can find bends in the river that might be a 5-10 minute walk, the fish were big and eager to take big terrestrials. I caught many big fish in water that has been hammered all summer, just try to fish in the not so easy to get to spots. Good luck.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the great responses. After I posted, I saw the discussion below "DIY trip in 2012", that is probably the wise way to do it, but... I need to do it this year. Yellowstone was just a point of reference, not a specific requirement. One specific, if possible would be grayling (never caught one, never seen one). I've seen several references about grayling and the Ruby river. Most of my cold water experience has been brookies, browns and rainbows. So, any new species would be nice. For time on the road, we're thinking a couple of weeks, maybe more. We'll probably be driving I-90 and would like to map some "stops" along the way. I hear and understand about walking a bit and getting away from the heavy traffic areas. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

2/3 weeks with the option for longer would be ideal. The tri-state area (Wyo, Mont, Ida) has so much water within 3 hrs of Yellowstone you'd be hard pressed to hit most of them and still spend a fair amount of time at each. If your driving I-90 don't forget to fish the Bighorn and the Little Bighorn on your way.

We have plenty of members here that are in the area and willing to offer advise for their local waters.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose13 View Post
I am in Southern Wyoming and the trout fishing is on fire.
I have never fished Yellowstone, but have fished around Jackson and Pinedale Wy. I would talk to a local fly shop and you should be in good shape.
Yellowstone isn't a "must do" for us, we just want to do some western fishing and maybe some prairie dog shooting. Can you share some specfics on Southern Wynoming spots? Thanks.....
Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I was in the park last week... numbers of fish weren't high.. but we caught the biggest Yellowstone Cutthroats we'd ever seen... truly amazing

Add to that the Elk are all out in rut, Bison everywhere, Antelope, Mountain goats, etc.... it's too impressive to miss.

It has started getting cooler.. 23 in West Yellowstone this morning..
Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill1948 View Post
Yellowstone isn't a "must do" for us, we just want to do some western fishing and maybe some prairie dog shooting. Can you share some specfics on Southern Wynoming spots? Thanks.....
The North Platte Grey Reef just south of Casper, WY, the river has been high all summer and just recently has lowered to allow good wade fishing, lots of private land but stop at one of the local fly shops to get an access map. I've heard the hopper fishing is really hot and should stay that way until the first good frost.
The Wind River/Bighorn below Thermopolis is also a good spot to hit and I have heard that the hopper fishing there is also hot, but I haven't had a chance to get up there.

Larry