The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the Forum... and Montana

I love 3 Dollar Bridge. Everything about, the access to a glorious stretch of river that an old Montana rancher started, the TU support that has kept it accessible, the $3! The honor system...o yeah, and the fishing and the wade only fishing on the Madison.

And there are lots and lots of other people that love it, too (fortunately, because the support has saved it, unfortunately because it is crowded). But I bet this time of the year is the best time to avoid the crowds. It will be great.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 PM

flyfishinfool is on a distinguished road

Yeah that looks like some great water to fish! Now I'm torn between the Gallatin and the Madison.

Planettrout, so this spot in the photo is 200 yards south of the bridge... that would put the bridge, in relation to your photo, just a stone' throw from where it bends upstream in this pic? is there access nearby or is this a hike from where you have to park?

DHayden, thanks for all the shop recommendations. I will definitely stop by one of these to ask about the hatches.

This is a real basic question, but what do you guys prefer as far as tying lead to tippet, surgeons or blood knot? And what is the knot that secures your leader to the float line called?

Thanks for the education!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 AM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinfool View Post
Yeah that looks like some great water to fish! Now I'm torn between the Gallatin and the Madison.

Planettrout, so this spot in the photo is 200 yards south of the bridge... that would put the bridge, in relation to your photo, just a stone' throw from where it bends upstream in this pic? is there access nearby or is this a hike from where you have to park?

DHayden, thanks for all the shop recommendations. I will definitely stop by one of these to ask about the hatches.

This is a real basic question, but what do you guys prefer as far as tying lead to tippet, surgeons or blood knot? And what is the knot that secures your leader to the float line called?
I use a surgeons knot just because I can tie it so much faster than a blood knot. YMMV. Both have about equal strength.

The knot that secures the leader to fly line is usually a nail knot, though these days you see a lot more loop to loop connections since Scientific Angler's lines usually (always, nowadays??) come with a loop built into the fly line.

Chris
Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:

I only use one knot for all my connections in the leader system (generally speaking)...that would be a Uni-Knot or Duncan Loop. The knot that secures the leader to the fly line is called a Nail Knot...

This is the parking lot a $3.00 Bridge...

Click the image to open in full size.

This was in mid-September...it was freezing and nobody was there...

This is my son Michael, working the water on the near side with $3.00 Bridge in the background...

This is a place on the Madison that the locals know about...

It is the Channels section of the Madison, just outside of Ennis, MT at Valley Garden...I have been fishing in here since 1975...it is at its' optimum when the water temps. are 60 degrees...one wants to work the islands and channels on the FAR side of the river( this photo was taken standing on a little island on the far side)...there are HUGE Trout in here...maybe, some of the largest in the river...and they are smart...

Here my daughter Ally instructs her brother on "how to do it" in the channels section:

Following her suggestions, he's gotten better at it...

Two weeks ago...on the East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA...

Have a BLAST !!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 09-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM

I have returned from Livingston with a healthy respect for the sport. We had a steady wind blowing the entire time and the fish had no interest in the flies I had to offer them. I did hook what i think was a whitefish, but it got away within 5 feet of me. Of course, this was the day I didn't bring my net! One day we floated the yellowstone, putting in at Pine Creek all the way to Carters Bridge, and found a nice pool teaming with browns. They were coming to the surface every 30 seconds and I must have tried 4 different flies within the 15 min I fished it. Still nothing! And to make matters even worse, I capsized my kayak and lost my shades... just glad I didn't lose my rod!

What I'm trying to say here is, Yes, I got completely skunked. Had a blast though. The guys at the local fly shop said that nymphs were working the best now on the river and I kind of figured this out for myself. I saw quite a few fish rise to the surface and just barely break it. It wasn't the typical rise you see from a trout going for a dry fly. I don't know how to fish nymphs so I stuck with the dries and got little results.

I have to admit that I did not make it to 3 dollar bridge or the Gallatin canyon spots. I quickly learned that it is difficult to get a group of four guys to agree on a plan and execute it! So we fished our home water, the Yellowstone, out of its close proximity. Having said that, I will keep all of your recommendations in mind and I WILL fish these spots next time I go.

I'm going to post some photos of the spot we waded just above carters. It was too bad I didn't catch anything, but the thing I realized is that the scenery up there in Montana always makes it worth the trip!

Again, Thanks to everyone for their input. I appreciate it.

Pat
Old 10-02-2011, 12:03 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

The Yellowstone can humble the best of us. But next time fish it with a two nymph rig with an indicator so that the nymphs are drifting along the bottom. You WILL catch whitefish, and hopefully trout as well. That river has thousands of whitefish per mile that are almost always stupid about nymphs. Especially Prince nymphs. And hare's ears. And copper johns...

I live right on the Yellowstone at the edge of Livingston part time (the rest of the time in Missouri). It's been a little tough this year...some good days and bad days. But the afternoon hopper fishing has been excellent some days, and since we've been having an exceptionally warm September, there are still lots of hoppers about and the trout are still sometimes looking up for them. I'll be leaving in a couple of weeks for Missouri, and wish I was going to be here a little longer.

I love the Pine to Carters stretch. Best variety of structure to fish on the whole river, in my opinion, and the scenery ain't too shabby, either!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 AM

yeah, I really need to get the nymphs down. One guy recommended fishing a nymph with a dry fly as the indicator which sounded interesting.

Have you ever fished up there in November? I think I'm going back for Thanksgiving.

Missouri? My family has some apartment buildings there in Kansas City. We are making a visit late this month to check on them. Any good fly fishing thereabouts? I'd love to get a paddlefish although I'm not sure if you get them on flies...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
yeah, I really need to get the nymphs down. One guy recommended fishing a nymph with a dry fly as the indicator which sounded interesting.

Have you ever fished up there in November? I think I'm going back for Thanksgiving.

Missouri? My family has some apartment buildings there in Kansas City. We are making a visit late this month to check on them. Any good fly fishing thereabouts? I'd love to get a paddlefish although I'm not sure if you get them on flies...
So far I've only spent part of one November here. There were some nice midge hatches and I caught some nice fish on Griffiths Gnats, and also some good fish on streamers. My flyfishing buddies tell me that November can be very good if the weather isn't too extreme.

There is quite a bit of decent fly fishing in Missouri, but nothing really close to KC. Closest is the Niangua River north of Lebanon. Bennett Spring State Park on the Niangua is a put and take trout park but I believe the trout parks close in mid-October, opening again for the catch and release winter fishing the first of November. I don't fish the trout parks...too artificial an experience for me. But the river below Bennett Spring is stocked occasionally with browns and rainbows along with escapees from Bennett Spring, and the fish are wilder than the park trout. Other possibilities, farther away from KC, are the North Fork above Norfork Lake--gorgeous river, wild rainbows with considerable natural reproduction and stocked browns that have a chance to grow big. Upper Current River--smaller stream, rainbows and browns, some big browns, stocked fish for the most part but the browns are stocked at 8-10 inches so they have a chance to get wild and big. Eleven Point River--another truly gorgeous river with wild rainbows. Several other streams along with three more trout parks, some really nice small stream fishing for wild trout. I won't publicize them too much here, but there are a couple of streams that have naturally reproducing McCloud rainbows--McClouds are more or less extinct in their native range in California, and these fish were originally stocked more than a hundred years ago and have survived ever since.

However, I concentrate a lot more on smallmouth bass in Missouri. Great fish for the fly rod.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

The boulder river south of big timber is just as close as the gallatin, and much closer than the madison. You can either wade under the high water mark, or go to a fishing access site. I always did pretty well fishing at natural bridge. If you go upstream it is like a giant spring creek; sight casting to spooky fish.

I never fished the giant pool at the base of the falls, but there is a trail down to it.

I would highly recomend a few trips over that way.

Mill creek has yellowstone cutties in it, if you drive all the way back, and take the right fork when the road forks, there are some meadows with some runs deep enough to hold 6-10" fish.

Those are the 2 closest spots to livingston that I enjoyed fishing.