The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 AM

flyfishinfool is on a distinguished road
Default New to the Forum... and Montana

Hi Everyone,
I've been checking out this forum for the past month and finally decided to join myself. Looks like everyone has some great stories/advice to share.

My folks just relocated to Livingston, Montana and I am going up there for a week this Saturday to do some fishing. We've only fished the yellowstone so far which was still pretty high in August! I have heard the Madison and Gallatin are great as well. Can anybody recommend a good spot on either of these rivers? Also, I'm not sure if dry flies are still good this late in the season. What have guys been fishing up there lately, nymphs, spinners,drys?

I'll take some photos and post here upon my return. Hopefully there'll be some fish in them!!

I appreciate it.

Pat
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the Forum... and Montana

Pat...should get some good advice from Montana members soon
Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pat: Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help with locations to fish (I live in WY).

Larry

Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

This is a great resource for this part of the state:

Montana Troutfitters

Madison, I haven't been to for awhile.. it's a more a floating river than a wading river.. but if you don't mind walking, there's a lot of access. And lots of people do wade fish it.

If you have the Montana Gazettzer.. look at the access points for the Madison.. that'll get you started.

For me, for wading it's the Gallatin all the way. Once you get into the Canyon, all the way to the headwaters, there's access practically everywhere. Any turnout, there's nice fish to get to

The Gallatin seems to have definitely slowed down... nothing for me on hoppers the other day, all the trout were deeper... and whitefish were going nuts.. not sure why.. as it cools a little (it was 23 in West Yellowstone this morning) - hopefully we'll start getting in to the Olives

For Livingston - a nice option is DePuy Spring Creek... it's $75 a day to fish on right now.. but it can be fantastic. Armstrong and Nelson are also close buy
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM

flyfishinfool is on a distinguished road

thanks for the response guys.

I have heard about Depuy from some other people as well. I might have to bight the bullet and pay $75. Must be good as your probably the 5th person I've heard recommend it.

The guy at the local fly shop loves the "Galli" as he called it, too. We have no drift boat so I will definitely be wading. I'll have to research how to get to the headwaters...

How difficult is it to learn how to fish nymphs? I have only fished dry flies. I know you have to cast up stream and then let the thing slowly sink as it passes by, correct? I'll check some youtube videos.

Had some luck up there in August with these things called stimulators. What are olives? So much to learn still with this sport!!

Thanks,
Pat
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

The Gallatin, is probably the best accessible river you'll find... just drive up from Bozeman along 191 (Gallatin Rd) from 4 corners.. it's about 10 miles to the canyon stretch, as soon as you cross that bridge, you're there.. anywhere for the next 30 miles is good fishing. If you go to the very top, the last 10 miles or so, that's Yellowstone NP, you'll need that license.

Olives.. BWO, Blue Wing Olives, real name is Baetis (I think), but I call all the mayflies by the common fly name

I wouldn't give up on drys... lots of little guys on the river, tricos, etc.. I saw some duns hatching out, not sure what they were, looked like cinnamons or something.. wasn't enough of them to catch one

Stop into TroutFitters, or Fins & Feathers or Greater Yellowstone, Rivers Edge, Bozeman Anglers, or any of the other shops.. they'll point you to the right places and flies..
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Pat! There is certainly a lot to learn, I'm right here with you learning, except I'm currently focusing most on steelhead fishing in Western New York rather than MT. Olives are a particular type of insect, with some often contradictory names Like, is a blue-winged olive mostly green, or mostly blue? So confusing yet compelling at the same time, haha. Again, welcome to the forum, looking forward to learning alongside you so share the things you learn and make sure to show photos!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Pat,

Welcome to the forum.
Check out this site;
It may help you in terms of aquatic life within the rivers in your general area. You can click on the video but you may want to paste the link in your browzer for a better experience and more helpful clips.

Best of luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinfool View Post
Hi Everyone,
I've been checking out this forum for the past month and finally decided to join myself. Looks like everyone has some great stories/advice to share.

My folks just relocated to Livingston, Montana and I am going up there for a week this Saturday to do some fishing. We've only fished the yellowstone so far which was still pretty high in August! I have heard the Madison and Gallatin are great as well. Can anybody recommend a good spot on either of these rivers? Also, I'm not sure if dry flies are still good this late in the season. What have guys been fishing up there lately, nymphs, spinners,drys?

I'll take some photos and post here upon my return. Hopefully there'll be some fish in them!!

I appreciate it.

Pat
If you plant thyself HERE:

Click the image to open in full size.

...about 200 yards up (South) from $3.00 Bridge, on the upper Madison River, on the same side as where the $3.00 is deposited...there will be Trout...

This is what's going on at any give time...

Click the image to open in full size.

That whole section around $3.00 Bridge is wade-able and drift boats are not allowed...

putter around here for patterns, tips, locations and recent reports:

Blue Ribbon Flies

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-23-2011, 03:09 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

WOW planettrout,

Great post! I will be in the area next year around this time and you can bet that I am going to save this chart.