The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default ID this bug?

I was down at Decker's today and was using my "seine" to see what was in the water and caught these. I'm pretty new to entomology, so I was looking for some veteran help identifying them. I compared them to a couple caddis larvae and mayfly nymphs at Trout Nut, but nothing really matched exactly. Anyway, thanks for any help in advance.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: ID this bug?

I'm no Deckers expert but I would be using a Stone Fly Creeper nymph to imitate that one............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Mayfly larvae.

Sorry, I don't know the specific genus or species

Might try here to see if you can match a picture.

Welcome to BugGuide.Net! - BugGuide.Net
Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Good one! It very well may be, I don't really know........... but I have a nymph pattern that looks like it

Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's a little net spinning caddis larva, can't tell you the exact genus, species, yada yada yada, but I can tell you it's a caddis.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-29-2011, 04:14 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough

I think fyshstykr naild it: a net spinning caddis. After his post I did some reading and found this page: Caddisflies (Order Trichoptera) or Sedge flies which had a really good break down of caddis flies. My initial mistake was only knowing about the free living caddis, never having seen or read (that I can recall, I'm sure I did at some point) about the net spinning variety.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
That's a little net spinning caddis larva, can't tell you the exact genus, species, yada yada yada, but I can tell you it's a caddis.
I second this ..
In some of my rivers caseless caddis are in bigger numbers than ,let say normal ,case caddis species
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Fysh is the man!

Now that you mention it the picture where it is doing the 'inch worm' thing is a giveaway.

I was looking at the little legs and thinking of a nymph pattern called 'Stone Fly Creeper' I'd probably still use the creeper pattern to imitate it

Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Spotted Caddis | Hydropsyche | Fly Fishing | Entomology | Westfly

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

No, Planettrout is the man. Nice find.

This would be a great addition to the bug thread, now if someone will post a pic of their imitation and a recipe....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*