The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 09:26 PM

customtackle is on a distinguished road
Default New Memeber Looking for advice

I have fished all over the world mainly Billfishing, and am an avid saltwater fisherman. I live in Eastern North Carolina and am in the fishing tackle business. My mothers family is from Montana and I am planning a fishing trip out there. They live in Three forks so this is where I will be spending my time. I am clueless as to what time of year to go, what to fish for, what to fish with etc. I am not over hiring a guide if thats what it takes. Any information that you can provide me with will be very much appreciated.

Tight Lines, Matthew
Old 10-08-2011, 12:17 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Memeber Looking for advice

If you don't mind gambling on the weather, I really like April the best of all months. The streams are just starting to warm up after a long winter, the fish are hungry, and the summer crowds haven't arrived yet. I wouldn't go from early May to mid-July unless you can go on fairly short notice, because the snow melt flooding on many streams will limit your options.

And there ARE a lot of options on where to go from Three Forks. Madison, Gallatin, Jefferson (the three forks of the Missouri), Yellowstone, Big Hole, all within an easy drive, along with many smaller creeks.

But it sounds like you are a good candidate for hiring a guide. Ask around, investigate, talk to prospective guides, and be very honest about your knowledge and skill level when it comes to fly fishing for trout in streams. Some guides are great teachers, some aren't.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:34 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Matthew,

Although I have never wet a line in the state, let me tell you this; you have posted a question in the right place. The folks here are fantastic!. However, it may be better if you tell them what kind of fishing you are interested in and perhaps list the type of tackle you would like to use. I assume you are talking about fly fishing for trout but that's only a guess. Be free with your questions and stay in touch. Good luck, and enjoy your visit. I will be fishing there next year for my first time and I can't wait.

Take care.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Matthew,

Start HERE:

The Rivers of Montana : Detailed Fly Fishing Information, Photographs, Maps & River Flows

The information there should narrow down the specific waters one might ask questions about...

and there are links here to a large number of Fly Shops just down the road in the Bozeman / Yellowstone area...

http://www.montanafly.com/retailer_l...ontanaone.html

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 10-08-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add link...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM

customtackle is on a distinguished road

I am interested in Fly fishing, and I pretty much want to catch anything that bites. So I am open to all suggestions for what might be best.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Also, I was doing some research online and saw where certain times of the year there are closures, and streams are shut down. Where is a good place to get accurate up to date information on the regulations in Montana, and can someone reccomend me a guide and a Tackle shop in Three Forks?

Tight Lines, Matthew
Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Matthew,

Did you click on the links that Planettrout posted? Great statewide resources for you. Just an FYI.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Three Forks is really small.. I'm not aware of a shop there, could be wrong.

Time of year is really important, all weather related..

I only fish rivers.. preety ignorant on the lakes, but Canyon Ferry is close by

For Rivers:

A local Bozeman shop should be able to hook you up with a guide

Montana Troutfitters

Or in Dillon:

Frontier Anglers
Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM

rkillian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by customtackle View Post
I have fished all over the world mainly Billfishing, and am an avid saltwater fisherman. I live in Eastern North Carolina and am in the fishing tackle business. My mothers family is from Montana and I am planning a fishing trip out there. They live in Three forks so this is where I will be spending my time. I am clueless as to what time of year to go, what to fish for, what to fish with etc. I am not over hiring a guide if thats what it takes. Any information that you can provide me with will be very much appreciated.

Tight Lines, Matthew
Mathew,
I have always used The Tackle Shop, in Ennis, Montana for reliable information and great tackle. I fish that area a couple of times a year and find them honest and accurate. Their web site is The Tackle Shop flyshop in Ennis, Montana. Orvis endorsed flyfishing outfitter on the Madsion River. Fly Fishing float trips and wade trips on the Madison River fly fishing guides, Big Hole River, Beaverhead River flyfishing guides, Ruby River, Hebge and the guy to speak to is John Way. The also have a Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/thetackleshop2 that offers specials and information.