The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default The Fall Brownie Run

I've been fishing the Clear Creek brownie run a lot recently and have had a lot of success! (I have pics posted in my blog)

Fun fishing and it's really fun to sight fish and have the chance to catch some big browns in a smaller creek. It's also pretty impressive to watch them spawning and stacking up.

Where else have you been fishing for the fall browns? Any fishing reports?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Fall Brownie Run

I caught 2 browns in the S. Platte in upper Cheesman Canyon, though they were just medium size and feeding out in rocks in deep fast water. Also got a big rainbow there, he did some nice aerials. All on nymphs. I saw some in shallower water, but was not sure if they were spawning so left them alone.

Incidentally, hiking into upper Cheesman in waders is not pleasant. It was my first time there, next time I'll leave the waders behind! beautiful hike though, not sure how far it is from the upper parking lot.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I've heard its a hell of a hike...but it gets you away from other people. I bet you probably didn't see another fisherman all day, our maybe only 1.

Glad you got into some fish!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

We saw one in the parking lot who left before us, he must have gone a ways downstream because we didn't see him at the river. Saw another one walking in as we were leaving. Only saw a few hikers as well. I'm guessing it does discourage most folks from fishing there. Getting from the trail down to the river isn't always easy either. Loose gravel and slippery rocks. Would be a bad place to take a spill. It is a hike, but the views of the reservoir are amazing. They, and the fish, made it worth it.