The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM

codhod is on a distinguished road
Default SE Bighorn Mountains Mid July

Hello (New to the Forums already addicted!)

The wife and I are making a trip to the Bighorn Mountains, we will be camping at the Tie Hack Campground. Unfortunately this is not a dedicated "Fishing" Trip so ill have to get in some sly fishing time...

Any suggestions for the immediate area around Tie Hack? The Reservoir? Clear Creek? Or any other place we could "Hike" (Fish)? We will be going July 9-12th. Dry flies yet? or? Any Help would be great.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SE Bighorn Mountains Mid July

codhod: Welcome to the forum! I haven't fished the Bighorn Mtns, but I would recommend that you send JJ (username futuramille) a PM, he grew up in Sheridan, WY and should be able to point you in the right direction.
Good luck on your trip and be sure to post a trip report!

Larry
Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I just finished a five day stay in Sheridan with a full day in the Big Horns fishing so I can answer your second part. Yes they were hitting dries. Mosquitos were working for me.
Get your camera ready. Wildlife everywhere. Saw a bunch of Moose up there.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie: Good to hear you had a good time staying in Sheridan! Hope you have a safe trip home.

Larry
Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I fished most all of the creeks that cross highway 16 in the bighorns. Most all of them contain 6-14" rainbows or brookies. The further you get away from other people, the more fish you will catch, but the fish dont get much bigger.

Sourdough is the next creek down from your campsite, you might want to check it out, but if it looks questionable skip it and head to Crazy Woman. I remember sourdough as being extremely swampy and difficult to fish. I have never fished the reservoir that your campsite is located on.

Good luck.