The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Turkey, Moose, Rainbow, Brown - Fishing the Big Hole.

Decided not to put music on this one. My father's commentary is entertaining enough.

The fields are endless, but the cows never leave the river side, maybe it’s the fresh taste of a cold mountain runoff that keeps them close. Or perhaps they just like watching the fly fisherman cast their way down stream (like souls of fishermen past). A young calf looks at his mother, with a sideways curious expression “I love the feeling of mud running through my hooves.”

http://www.fishalong.com
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Turkey, Moose, Rainbow, Brown - Fishing the Big Hole.

Nice video, that could have been quite the cast and blast day it seems, but seemed like a great day none the less! The colors on that brown were great!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Nice fish, fishalong. Was that filmed recently? I finally got down there last Friday and got into some Browns but it never turned on like it can. You have love how the brownies stack up in certain holes this time of the year...and those pig rainbows that feed on the eggs below them. What were you fishing - streamers or eggs? I couldn't tell.

I really like your dad's no touch release! Enjoy the fight and then let 'em go, that is the perfect way.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

When was that? Is there's no snow over there.. I'd be up for that!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
When was that? Is there's no snow over there.. I'd be up for that!
There was no snow as of last Friday...plenty of floe ice in the morning, but no snow. It's always worth a shot!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Nice!

How's Missoula looking now?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice video, and fish. I also liked the no hands release, looks like you guys had a good day.

d
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Nice!

How's Missoula looking now?
I don't mean to hijack your thread, fishalong, but we are talking Montana...

Missoula looks like the end of good fishing for a while. I got skunked on the Bitterroot on the last sunny crisp day we had last week! Really dissappointing. Winter is coming. I am going focus on whitetails for next couple weekends and then hunker in for another long one.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Turkey, Moose, Brown, Rainbow - Fishing the Big Hole.

Thanks for all the comments!

The video was filmed about two weeks ago.

Dean - I always remember the cold days on the Bitterroot being not as exciting as those with summer sun.

Bozeman is still fishing quite well. This is the least snow I have seen in a while. not even enough to hike for some ski turns.

Madison is dry, but ice chunks are starting to form and float around on the shores.

actually headed up the Gallatin River today. That tells you how non-winter like it is here. In fact right now the sun is beaming! That's all suppose to change with the next storm coming this weekend... but that's also what they have been saying for the last week.

I've got another video coming soon that was filmed last week way up the upper madison. It was so cold the camera has a light film of ice on it. Caught some great trout though.
The fields are endless, but the cows never leave the river side, maybe it’s the fresh taste of a cold mountain runoff that keeps them close. Or perhaps they just like watching the fly fisherman cast their way down stream (like souls of fishermen past). A young calf looks at his mother, with a sideways curious expression “I love the feeling of mud running through my hooves.”

http://www.fishalong.com
Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Turkey, Moose, Brown, Rainbow - Fishing the Big Hole.

Get it while you can!

This morning was 11 degrees in Missoula. Sunny, but 11!!