The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Seasons of the San Juan?

So it's not even Thanksgiving yet and the snow has been flying here for a few days. This isn't a fluky early snow, this is winter coming, I feel it. That, on top of a couple other things, have me itching already to find some fishing this winter...and I don't mean the standing on shelf-ice, nymphing up 3 whitey's for every frozen trout, variety.

One of the other triggers that has me thinking about this again is that I picked up "Tying Small Flies" by Ed Engle at the library last weekend, it just jumped out at me so I grabbed it. Of course now I want to plan a trip to a tailwater to fish this winter.

So, tell me, what are the seasons of the San Juan? I've wanted to fish there for years.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:10 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Seasons of the San Juan?

"San Juan River - Upper section - Catch and Release flow is 331 cfs. Midges are hatching all day long. At the moment they are very small, midge pupa and larvae, size 22 to 28, gray, black, chocolate, cream and olive have been my best. The hatch is strongest from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Try fishing BWO's from 1 to 5 p.m. Dark or light gray, brown and olive have been the best colors in a size 20 and 22 in dry and wet patterns. Back to black and brown midges in the evenings. Brown, black, purple and white bunny leaches are great attractors." (NMDGF Fishing eport 11-15-2011)

The San Juan is open year round. This time of year the flows are at there lowest (in early spring they can be over 1600 cfs), which typically makes for good fishing. They may even be lower than normal because there is a portion of the river (in the lower section), that is getting some improvements this winter, I am not sure of the dates but that part will be closed for a period but I do not think it will affect the upper flats or the Texas Hole.

Hope you can make it down, I am a newbie and haven't been fly fishing long, but I have been to the San Juan several times so hit me up with any questions you may have if I dont know thw answers I can find some one who does.

Jimbo
Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks Jimbo. Its really just a pipe dream right now, but one can dream! I am just curious to the ways the river changes throughout the year, I mean I know it is an incredibly consistent river but if certain seasons are considered better than others. Are there times when there are fewer anglers or is it a year round destination? 300 cfs must be a nice wadeable flow.

Plus I just love that part of the country and would really like to get back down there. Maybe a family vacation is in cards one of these years when my kid is a little older. Of course I could go first and scout it out.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

Dean,

Hey I hear you, my last name is Montano, so I would really like to get up to your neck of the woods.

The San Juan flow does vary through the year, depending on the time mostly. Like I said early spring is probably the peak and it does make wading difficult in parts. Floating a drift boat can be amazing though and for the most part not to expensive (hiring a guide), you will certainly get into fish and there are som hogs in that river. Up higher on the flats wading can be easier, but it is still tough during the heavy flows. Fall and winter are some of the best times, and yes it gets busy but I think a little slower than mid to late summer, just because alot of the local traffic will be hunting many of those weekends. In the deeper fast parts (the Texas Hole) nypmphing with tiny flys/midge pupa is pretty much the standard, but if you want to fish, dry's, emergers and terrestrials, up in the flats you can be very succesful with these as well.

Jimbo