The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 09:24 AM

g martin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thanksgiving Tailwaters...

vitesse304
I looked at the area the tournament is going to cover, that is a lot of river. I have fished most of it over the past three years. Of course some areas are better than others.

As you know the streatch from the dam to valco bridge is really fished hard by flyfishers and bait fishers alike but there are still a few extremly nice resident fish in there.

From Valco bridge to the nature center now gets a lot of pressure due to the special regs. But this section has a lot of deep pools with shallow tailouts to hold fish in this section. And now that the flows are low it really bunches the fish into select prime areas, but depending on the temps and hatches as to whether they move out of the deep holes or not.

As far as catching fish in this section its just like the sections you already fish
adjust your tactics and presantations to the conditions that day.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Fished for 3 days over the Christmas holiday. Super busy all the way from the Dam to the Nature Center. Even the water treatment plant was super busy with bait dunkers at the foot bridge, and fly fisherman almost all the way down to the 4th street bridge.

I ended up finding a new spot on Monday thanks to google maps; and found a place that I don't think most people know about...

Ended up catching quite a few in the new spot, and "consistent" fishing on Saturday and Sunday. Consistent being a fish every couple casts moving up and down the river. The new spot was on fire with catches almost every cast...
Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM

I here ya. I'm off thursday thru sunday and plan on fishing at least three of those days. I'm thinking of fishing below Deckers saturday as I have not fished that stretch of water since last year. I will be on the Ark. for sure on Friday. Let me Know if you plan on being there I will try to meet up with you.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by g martin View Post
I here ya. I'm off thursday thru sunday and plan on fishing at least three of those days. I'm thinking of fishing below Deckers saturday as I have not fished that stretch of water since last year. I will be on the Ark. for sure on Friday. Let me Know if you plan on being there I will try to meet up with you.
I just checked and saw your post! I won't be down there until Saturday, and I might stay down there to fish Sunday as well. If you're still there, send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call.

Good luck at Deckers, I heard it's all iced over with maybe a few open spots. Hopefully the warmer weather opened up more of the river.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the pdate of Deckers I guess I'll just have to fish the Ark friday and saturday.

Question, are there any good spots to fish in denver metro area in the winter. My wife works in denver and a few times a month I'll drive her to work to give her a break. In the summer I bring my toon or belly boat and fish the local lakes but in the winter I have not found anything worth trying. Sorry I dont ice fish.