The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Thanksgiving Tailwaters...

I love winter...
Why?

Because a lot of fisherman put away their rods and wait until spring to start fishing again! This leaves plenty of opporutnity for me to get on the water without the crowds.

Now these tailwaters are no secret...they are easily accessed, and two of the most well known tailwater fisheries in Colorado, but in the winter it seems that there are less people there and the fish are still hungry.

Plus, these locations are two places that I frequent in the winter anyways so it's a good escape from in-laws or work!

If anybody wants to meet up and hit some winter tailwaters, let me know!

The Blue River in Silverthorne and the Arkansas below Pueblo dam. Two of the best winter fishing destinations. Not only are they good fisheries, but they each have their own characteristics and fish completely differently and at times, the same...

Over Thanksgiving, I had the chance to fish both and had 3 great days of fishing. This warm weather here in Colorado seems to have extended our season just a bit and that nip in the air has made the fish put on their feedbags in anticipation of a cold winter...

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-29-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Removed Invite to visit blog
Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving Tailwaters...

I'm looking forward to fishing this winter as well. I don't do it very often as there aren't any tailwaters very close to me. But I always enjoy a sunny day on a cold snowy river, all alone...
Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM

lukewl will become famous soon enoughlukewl will become famous soon enough

I went up to fish bellow the dillon dam yesterday and felt compelled to go up above the res. lets just say it was a good choice. If you are up that way bring some large bright flies and check out 4 mile bridge area... hint hint haha
Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewl View Post
I went up to fish bellow the dillon dam yesterday and felt compelled to go up above the res. lets just say it was a good choice. If you are up that way bring some large bright flies and check out 4 mile bridge area... hint hint haha
did you pick up some kokes?

I haven't really fished above the res in the winters, but in the summers, there's lots of good fishing all the way through town and at the "trailer" park.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM

g martin is on a distinguished road

I fished the Ark below Pueblo on 11-31-11 and had a decent day. Like you said in your first post it is a great tailwater fishery that is not crowded. I was amazed that I only saw 5 other fishermen. The weather was great, upper 60s no wind and overcast until about 2pm. There was a good steady BWO hatch until the clouds dissipated. RS-2s and BWO nymphs/emergers fished just below the surface, where the flys of choice in the first part of the day. Then switched over to thread midges and RS-2 bouncing along the bottom in the afternoon/evening. But this I will admit was the best part of the day
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM

I fished the ark in Pueblo again this Saturday.

29 was the forecasted high and it was blowing snow all morning.

What a great day! I fished the Nature Center, the Water Treatment Plant, and at the Dam. Incredible fishing. I only saw 1 other fisherman who said he was a guide out getting a fishing report.

Ended the day with a beautiful 22 in. bow, couldn't ask for more...
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Good job on enduring the cold wind. That fishery is really starting to be a great tail water fishery. I plan on being there this sat the 10th if the weather holds.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Try some steak and eggs, we got lots of hits on that combo as well as your standard nymphs.

Even though it's a tailwater and it's winter fishing, I've noticed that although they like midges, you don't always have to fish a size 22 thread midge.

They will readily take size 16-20 pheasant tails, copper johns, and any flashy mayfly nymph will work.

If I wasn't working this weekend, I would totally be down there fishing with you!

BTW, fished the Blue yesterday...tough fishing. Super cold and only managed 2 fish fishing around the bridge hole. NOBODY was out and the cold temps really shut the fish down. Once the temps are consistent, and the fish are in a "winter" mindset, the fishing will get more consistent.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 AM

I did get to fish the river this past weekend. I manged two over 15" to the net, and lost count of the smaller fish. The river was crowded and it was hard to find a spot up stream from the nature center. I waited until sunday thinking more people would stay home and watch the Broncos. Maybe this sunday.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 AM

I fished this last Sunday as well. It was great fishing. I started at the dam and was the 1st car in the lot, got a call from a friend to meet up at the water treatment plant and when I left at around 11:00, the parking lot was full and there were 3 guys lined up trying to fish cable hole...I didn't see any of them catch a fish. Too bad they don't realize there's plenty of holes below and above that hold plenty of fish!

Dry fly fishing was the best between noon and 3 at the water treatment plant. Pretty busy for a Sunday, but what do you expect with such nice weather! I do need to up date my blog with my last 2 trips...I hope the weather holds this weekend...they are forecasting 50 in Denver, so it'll be another warm weekend with some great fishing down there.

I'm not sure if I'll be down there Sunday...I really need to fish the dam all the way to the nature center to practice for the upcoming tournament...fishing is great at the water treatment plant and it gives me a boost in confidence, but if I can't catch fish around valco and the nature center, I might not enter the tournament.