The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Boulder/Stillwater Rivers - Big Timber, MT

Hello all

I have some questions about the Boulder and Stillwater Rivers above Big Timber, Montana. Last summer, I hiked out of the Box Canyon trailhead on the headwaters of the Boulder River and spent a lovely week up on the Lake Plateau in the Beartooths. I only returned back to my car to make a speedy exit and return to work. While another backpacking trip to the plateau in the next summer or two is a certainty, I will be on an extended trip with good car camping gear and more time. When I have more time, I like to car camp and fish in remote areas close to the trailheads and recover between backcountry trips.

Thus, I am interested in the Boulder and Stillwater Rivers. I do know about the great access on the Boulder River as I've already driven (but did not fish) the river. But how is the fishing? Interested in both headwaters and then down below closer to Big Timber? I assume its rainbows and browns?

I may also head up the Stillwater instead, but I've never been there before. My plan is to car camp near the Stillwater River Trailhead or along the river before the TH. Again, how is the fishing? How is the access? Is there good open camping like there is on the Boulder River Road? The upper stretches of the Boulder River Road were beat all to hell, but I am going to return with a good truck next time. What is the quality of the Stillwater River Road? What is the official name of the road that runs up the Stillwater?

I will be fishing the rivers around mid August to early September.

thanks for any help
Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Boulder/Stillwater Rivers - Big Timber, MT

Countr21, though I do not know either of those streams well, I do know that you would be well served exploring and fishing either. I wouldn't mind putting one of those my next summer's "to do" list!

Maybe some of the members in the Bozeman or Billings area know more.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Boulder/Stillwater Rivers - Big Timber, MT

Sweetgrass is a 2009 documentary film that follows modern-day cowboys as they lead their flocks of sheep up into Montana's Absaroka-Beartooth mountains for summer pasture. It was directed by Lucien Castaing-Taylor, a Harvard anthropologist, and produced by his wife Ilisa Barbash. The title derives from Sweet Grass County, one of several in which the film was shot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetgrass_(film)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
OK this is a little bit off of topic, but it is about the Big Timber area & the Absaroka-Beartooth mountain range. It's really a super movie/documentary
in part because of the tremendous scenery and we all know that's one of the reasons we love to trout fish in the glorious Rockies - the scenery.