The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default 307 Outfitters Lander, WY

The wife and I drove up to Lander, WY on Friday and did a float trip with Capt Charles from 307 Outfitters on the Wind River. He met us at the motel at 5 am and off we headed for the Wind River, just below Boysen Reservoir at the head of Wind Canyon. This is a beautiful area of Wyoming and one of my favorite spots to ride the motorcyles, Wind River Canyon is just gorgeous, but I have never stopped to fish this area until yesterday. We hit the river about 6 am and hooked into three fish almost immediately, but as the sun came on the water the fishing slowed way down, but still had a few LDR's throughout the day. The biggest factor was that we were restricted to the upper portion of the river to stay out of the wind. We floated into the lower section but the wind was relentless and it was extremely hard casting and the guide was having difficulty keeping the boat in position so we decided the upper section would be better. As you can see from the photo, he uses a jon boat with a jet on it to move up and down the river. Standing in the front on the flat platform with the leg locks made for an enjoyable position to cast from.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the launch/take out and of the high water. Capt Charles told me that the river was running at 4,000 CFS and normally this time of year it is at 1,200 CFS:

Here is a shot looking down river as we were floating:

Here is a different view showing a little of the country side and the high water. The river is really high for this time of year due to all the snow from last winter and the heavy rains in the spring. I've never seen Boysen Reservoir completely full and it is still spilling water from the spillway at the dam.

Another view of the high waterr and the canyon, note the off color of the water, normally this time of year it is crystal clear:

Beautiful Wind River Rainbow:

Another gorgeous fish:

Here we are jetting up the river to reposition for another float. In the background you can see the beginning of the Wind Canyon:

Here is another great looking rainbow:
Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 307 Outfitters Lander, WY

Good to see that you and your wife got on the water. The boat looks like a great setup. If we ever move down to Colorado we are going to bring our boat along. The place you were at would be perfect for it. I used to use a little 3.3 Merc on my drift boat back East so I could float without having two vehicles involved every time I wanted to go. Nice pictures Larry.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Good to see that you and your wife got on the water. The boat looks like a great setup. If we ever move down to Colorado we are going to bring our boat along. The place you were at would be perfect for it. I used to use a little 3.3 Merc on my drift boat back East so I could float without having two vehicles involved every time I wanted to go. Nice pictures Larry.

Ard
Ard: You're correct, your rig would be perfect for this section of the Wind River. Awhile back I bought an electric motor for my drift boat for use on High Savory (dealing with high winds) but I don't think it has enough power to handle the heavy current this river has. 307 Outfitters was using a 30 hp jet and it handled the current just fine.

Larry
Old 07-07-2010, 01:36 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough

This is the first year I ever seen the water below the dam and in the canyon so murky. I fish the WRC a lot and this year that murky waters make`in it tough to fish a bit. I`m glad you got a few. Last year the water was moving faster but was way clearer than it is now. Boysen had a record water input this year and the whole lake is still silty. Normally lake turnover is the only inpact to water clearity.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks for the nice report Larry. Good to see your wife on the river with you.
I'm starting to be amazed with all of the rivers you have in that part of the country.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Larry,

Nice report—photos, fish, river, the works. It's been donkeys' years since I fished from the banks along Rte 20 there. If I remember correctly, I had to obtain a permit from the Indian reservation. Is that still the case? Does floating the river eliminate the need for that special permit?

Allen R
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough

Your right about needing a "res" permit to fish the canyon. Nobody`s alowed to float it w/o a tribal guide. You basicly need to book one at the local shop here. The go`in rate is 600$ a pair for a whole day, I`m not sure what a half day is. Your permit fee is included. It`s tough to fish the steep banks if your not into rock climbing. Need info?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wypatch View Post
This is the first year I ever seen the water below the dam and in the canyon so murky. I fish the WRC a lot and this year that murky waters make`in it tough to fish a bit. I`m glad you got a few. Last year the water was moving faster but was way clearer than it is now. Boysen had a record water input this year and the whole lake is still silty. Normally lake turnover is the only inpact to water clearity.
Wypatch: I know what you mean, I have never seen the river as off color as it was last weekend, but we were throwing streamers so I don't think it hurt us that much. I couldn't believe how high Boysen reservoir is and how muddy looking it is.

Larry

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywgn View Post
Larry,

Nice report—photos, fish, river, the works. It's been donkeys' years since I fished from the banks along Rte 20 there. If I remember correctly, I had to obtain a permit from the Indian reservation. Is that still the case? Does floating the river eliminate the need for that special permit?

Allen R
Allen: We weren't fishing on the reservation. From the dam to the entrance to the canyon is public land, if you recall there are a couple public campgrounds there along Rte 20. Wypatch is correct, in the canyon you will need a reservation permit to fish there. Bank fishing is a little difficult on that river due to the steep banks, sharp drop offs and swift current, but I think if you pick your spots carefully it can be done.

Larry
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wypatch View Post
It`s tough to fish the steep banks if your not into rock climbing.
Gave that habit up 50 years ago. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney
From the dam to the entrance to the canyon is public land, if you recall there are a couple public campgrounds there along Rte 20. Wypatch is correct, in the canyon you will need a reservation permit to fish there. Bank fishing is a little difficult on that river due to the steep banks, sharp drop offs and swift current, but I think if you pick your spots carefully it can be done.
Thanks Larry. I do remember some campgrounds.

Does the Res begin approximately where a fairly large creek comes in from the east?

Allen R.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Allen: I'm not sure, I kind of remember seeing a creek, but not sure. I have only fished there that one time. Maybe Wypatch will respond as he is way more familiar with this area than I am. In the past I mainly just drove by on the bikes.

Larry