The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Camera advice

I know this may be a rather odd topic to post on this site but based on some of the photos that I have seen on some of the threads, I thought I would give it a go…
Do any of you have some advice towards a (waterproof) digital camera for streamside photos is best for the river or stream?

Last edited by dharkin; 02-22-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: clarity?........and my friggen neighbor just left ad I could finish:)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all
Default Re: Camera advice

I generally use a Canon 7D DSLR for 'planned' fishing trips where I have a buddy or my wife along to hold the fish when I take a picture. The dSLR also is great for shooting pictures of the water locale etc. & allows me to swap lenses per my need.

However, when I fish alone and when I know that I will not have the opportunity to carry a lot of weight, I go with a Canon ELPH point and shoot. Its very compact (think lightly larger than a credit card in height X width). I have never dropped it in the water but it has survived spray and minor rain drops w/o any issues. Image quality is not as great as my 7D (to be expected due to the sensor size & the lens) but it is passable for web postings.

I would also recommend looking at the Olympus Tough series of point and shoot cameras since they are pretty much bulletproof. However, since such cameras have a glass covering the lens (for weatherproofing), the image quality is slightly lower. Not noticeable in good light (day time etc) but under challenging light conditions, the image quality can be reduced.

I am intrigued by the new 4/3 range of cameras since they sound like a good compromise between a full fledged DSLR and a P/S. Another option is an advanced P/S such as the Canon G12 or the Canon S100.

I suggest going to a local camera store and handling a few models. Ultimately, the way they feel in your hands will also be important. If you decide to choose a P/S, then find one with the widest lens & the largest aperture for the lens (lower F stop).

good luck in your search.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

WOW!

mysticm, that is some great info. I need to find one that is small and easy to use. I have plenty of time before my trip but I just want to keep my eyes open.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I have an older model of this:

Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Blue): Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Blue): Camera & Photo

it's been bulletproof. I like to take underwater shots.. if you do video underwater.. you can hear voices from above and the water noises - it's really cool

There's a whole thread on here about the waterproof cameras.. what people like
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

We had an Olympus and hated it. But that was a couple years ago.
Check out the new Nikon. This is what I would seriously look at.
Nikon AW100 COOLPIX Compact Digital Camera | Underwater Camera
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just saw some Nikon point & shoot coolpix cameras on Closeout at Target 2 days ago. Check your local Target electronics dept for a deal.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

here we go again hah. I know folks that have good luck with both the coolpix and the olympis, I use my gopro HD2 when I dont sling my slr in the waterproof bag, its bulky but great when im out more for photos. the gopro shoots hd video and time lapse photos, so theres alot ways to get what your looking for. I read some reviews about the coolpix having a slow focus, but for stream side this isnt bad, I would be able to shoot a bike race with it like I do my slr.
Mikw
Old 02-23-2012, 09:16 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Im using a Panasonic TS3 for underwater and wet areas. it seems to be working very very well so far. I keep getting nervous about accidently dropping my SLR into the drink but I still take it with me to new and exciting places.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This works for me:

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

No problem Photography is a major hobby for me and I have spent countless hours reading reviews and staying up to date with the camera advances. Here is an excellent review for advanced point and shoot cameras. These models allow you to shoot in the 'RAW' mode...so you have total creative control over the final image. It does require some post processing software and skills but nothing that is too intense.

I believe there is also a nice comparison of the latest waterproof cameras on the site.

Buyer's Guide: Enthusiast raw-shooting compact cameras: Digital Photography Review