The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:49 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default 1 fly or 2?

HI Guys,

I'm doing my best to prepare myself and my buddy for our trip in September. I am trying to learn as much as I can and read as much as I can in regards to local/regional information prior to the trip. I have read many articles and viewed many videos, most of the research has not surprised me but I do have one question that has not been specifically addressed in any article or video that I have seen..............What's up with the multiple flies/dropper rigs? Is this a common presentation and allowed on most waters? If so, what are some of the more common "partners" and means of connectivity?

Very interesting.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1 fly or 2?

2 flies are pretty common here.. They use 3 in Idaho

They run the gambit depending on the time of year
small nymph/small nymph
san juans/small nymphs
large stones/pheasant tail droppers
duns/emergers
Hoppers/beadheads

Everyones going to have thier prefered flies. The fly shops in Missoula will give you good examples

People drop them from improved blood knots, or off the hook bend or hook eye of the top fly
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

3 in colorado.

I'll use 3 flies especially when floating a river. That way you can attack the entire water column and find where the fish are and what they are keyed in on.

For skinny water, 3 flies are a bit tricky since you want about 10-14 in of tippet between flies.

Example. Floating the colorado

Pat's rubber leg - San Juan - Pheasant Tail

or

Hopper - Copper John - Pheasant Trail

Or you can run eggs and bacon.

egg pattern - san juan - egg pattern

Keep your heaviest fly at the top of the rig, and rig biggest to smallest. This helps keep down on tangles.

Also, you will need to get used to chucking a 3 fly rig. I used to move too fast from my back cast and that caused a lot of tangles. Just slow it down... But in a boat, it's a little easier since you're placing your rig out in front of you with minimal casting.

Where are you planning on going in Sept?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I frequently fish two, but keep it simple- Heavy nymph on point, soft hackle or egg on dropper. For the dropper, I leave the tag long on a double surgeon's knot.

When fishing an actual dropper like this, I NEVER add a fly with any weight, as that tends to induce the dreaded "tetherball effect" around the standing leader.

Bear in mind that getting the fly to where the fish are and maintaining a good drift is 10x as important as how many flies you're fishing, and also more important than what you've got tied on.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I always fish one... in Europe people use 2 or three on wet...two on nymph or buzzer using a dry as indicator
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

That reminds me...czech nymphing.

I tried it on some smaller streams, works well. You might want to give that a shot if you want to try a multi fly rig.

Just don't try to cast it...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the state where you are taking your trip to. In some, it's not legal to use two. Here in Minnesota you can but only for some species. Trout, Crappie, Sunfish and Rock Bass. I like the hopper dropper type rig if you can legally do it. Check the regulations before you go.

Good luck on your trip.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Sorry guys,

I neglected to mention that the trip is to Montana. Most of my fishing is in ponds and the use of droppers is not that common. I have used droppers before (brook trout in Maine) but I have never seen such broad usage as I discovered last week during my research. Just one more thing that I can look forward to trying as I see it. I'm sure the time of year has alot to do with it.

Take care.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Unless there is a decent hatch going on, my go to rig anywhere in the West is a size 16 elk hair caddis over a size 18 bead head pheasant tail or a size 10 or12 PMX over a size 16 hare's ear.

Chris

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

If that doesn't work, try a size 8 PMX as a strike indicator over a weighted bead head hare's ear or PT over an RS-2.

Do NOT false cast this abomination. Let the current pull it taut at the end of the drift, then lob it upstream to start over. We call this technique a "water haul".

Chris
dharkin likes this.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Good lord!

Doesn't sound like a bunch of fun but I may have to resort to a combination like this in order to catch a fish. I truely hope that I can avoid it, but I will let you know. Thanks for the advice and I can assure you, I will try it if needed.

Take care.