The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fire instructor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you.'

Posted without comment:

EPA halts proposed fishing park near Logan
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you.'

I'm 100% behind the access.. but I do think they need the right permits. They just missed a step, I'm sure it'll work out.

They get a fair amount of flooding around there with ice jams, etc

If it wasn't something I supported, these guys can stop those things too.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Rules are generally created for a reason, and this appears to be one of them. Preventing flooding caused by man made structures is a very sensible application of government regulation.

I'd bet folks with houses downhill from this proposed pond would agree with me on that.

Side note- I used to own a house downhill from a city park pond, so I'm quite familiar with being concerned that all prudent measures were followed when its pouring and that pond is overflowing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

This one "hits home" for me... I've been a fisherman since I could walk, hold a fishing rod, and watch a bobber. But I've also worked in Emergency Services for almost 40 years, and as a professional Emergency Manager for almost 15 years.

Flooding is consistantly the #1 dollar damage hazard here in NYS, and in many (read MOST) other states. Much of the flooding that occurs COULD have been avoided, had people just followed the rules regarding watershed, water front, or shore-side construction and improvement. Any construction that changes or affects the natural flow of the stream, both at the "daily" level and during high water events, will impoact someone downstream, and potentially upstream. Having had to make swift water rescues in the past, and working to rebuild flood devistated communities, it's a challenge that I get to live in daily!

Worse, once flooding (that humans cause!) occurs, it gives the "I can fix this with a couple of passes with a bulldozer" crowd an excuse to work during "emergency conditions" to fix a problem, destroying native fish habitat, turning rivers and streams into stone-lined drainage troughs, and removing any of the cover, boulders, and God-placed materials that cause pools, riffles, runs, and swirls.

just look at the permenant damage done to the Ausable River fisheries in Upstate NY last Fall, by an over-zelous local demand, all in an "emergency effort" to clear debris from the flooding caused by Irene & Lee! Most of the 'damage" was human-caused construction (can't blame it on the beavers!), encroaching on locations where streams and flows have carved their paths for centuries!

So I'm in favor of a regulatory process that actually REQUIRES folks to respect Mother Nature and the way that she moves waters. I'm SURE that there is someone just a phonecall away at the EPA willing to assist Mr. Lilly, the Logan American Legion, and Urbani Fisheries with their worthwhile project, in a manner that ensures protection of the waterway.
fysh likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Fred didn't actually read it. He just saw EPA, and put a thumbs down on it with a sarcastic tag line.