The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Montana Trip Inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelpitamber View Post
Hey Gents-

I'm a bit new to the forum, but I've been fishing the Bitterroot valley for the last 5/6 years, and will be up again this August (6-16). I've got family in Hamilton (on Skalkaho Creek!) and will be free to travel around the SW MT region, as the wife and kids won't be coming this trip, and the family I'm coming to visit will be away for a few days, so I'm thinking i'll hop in the truck and do some fishing. I'd love to meet up with some of you locals for some trouting!

Oh, and I've got a few spots in the area you may want to check out! More wade fishing than floating, but if you're looking for some tribs/creeks, try Skalkaho southwest of Hamilton, and I'm a huge fan of the east fork of the Bitterroot. It's always in the shadow of the big rivers further downstream (Main Fork of the Bitterroot, Clark Fork, etc. in the missoula area), but i've YET to have a bad day fishing there- almost all cuts on hoppers, and most over 12"- some 18"+.

There's still tons of water to cover- you almost can't go wrong up there.

best luck and here' s wishing you all noisy reels this summer.
sp
So that's on the Skalkaho Hiway (aka as hiway 38) as it runs east of State 93 ? Is that mainly gravel road and how rough is it ? Need a 4-wheeler ? How far in after exiting 93 do you have to go before getting access to Skalkaho Creek ?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
So that's on the Skalkaho Hiway (aka as hiway 38) as it runs east of State 93 ? Is that mainly gravel road and how rough is it ? Need a 4-wheeler ? How far in after exiting 93 do you have to go before getting access to Skalkaho Creek ?
Jim, you can get into the creek pretty much as soon as you turn off 93. Skalkaho "highway" is paved for a little ways, not sure how many miles, but it does turn to gravel...the majority of the road is gravel, the only dirt "highway" I am aware of! But it is a very good dirt road, wide and heavily trafficked in the summer. Access to the creek is easy on the lower end. The road rises to a pass over the Sapphires, there is a really great waterfall up there that a lot folks go to see, it's right off the road. Great views up there too, it's a long road but nice scenic drive from Hamilton to P-burg. On the E side of the pass there is access to the middle fork of Rock Creek and the upper end of Rock Creek as well. It's a great area. Any sound vehicle can handle the road.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Jim, you can get into the creek pretty much as soon as you turn off 93. Skalkaho "highway" is paved for a little ways, not sure how many miles, but it does turn to gravel...the majority of the road is gravel, the only dirt "highway" I am aware of! But it is a very good dirt road, wide and heavily trafficked in the summer. Access to the creek is easy on the lower end. The road rises to a pass over the Sapphires, there is a really great waterfall up there that a lot folks go to see, it's right off the road. Great views up there too, it's a long road but nice scenic drive from Hamilton to P-burg. On the E side of the pass there is access to the middle fork of Rock Creek and the upper end of Rock Creek as well. It's a great area. Any sound vehicle can handle the road.
Thank you my friend, I appreciate the info !
I'm a big Missoula fan as I visited there many times over the years and it's absoluely one of my favorite small-to-medium size cities out west.
I think I'm gonna check out the Skalkaho Creek when I'm out your way this Fall, 'cause I come right up 93 towards Missoula so it's right on the way. I love those smaller streams, maybe even a "fisherman" as inept as me might have some luck there, but if not it just sounds like I'd get to see some new gorgeous Montana scenery for the first time and that never gets old.
shortyb likes this.