The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about
Default Montana Trip Inquiry

The wife has offered me a 4 day trip to fish in Montana for my birthday. I've done some research online but figured I'd put it out on the forum for some recommendations (rivers, streams, creeks, time of year, guides, places to stay etc.). If there are multiple spots in a relatively close range that's great too.

A bonus would be staying in a cabin riverside ..... but not a requirement.

Please PM if you don't want to put spots on blast.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any/all help.

Ryan
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Montana Trip Inquiry

Wowser, that's a helluva birthday present! My wife asked me this morning what I wanted for my birthday...hmmm...

Are you looking at four days of fishing? Guided fishing? Let me answer is this way, if I had 4 days of guided fishing and could pick anywhere, I would go to Twin Bridges and fish the Big Hole, Beaverhead, Jefferson and then see how I feel. Maybe a day on one of the spring creek ranches down there.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

What size rivers are you looking for?

Wading, Drifting? Probably any thing you'd like, there's an area for you.. .just need to narrow down the big items.

A sample to think about:

Missoula (Clark Fork, Bitterroot, Blackfoot, Rock Creek)
West Yellowstone (YNP park and all the rivers there, and the Madison)
Livingston (Yellowstone, Spring Creeks)
Twin Bridges/Dillon (Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Ruby)
Ennis (Madison, and more close enough)

for a 4 day trip.. pick one area that seems like it has the river sizes you'd like, rather than spending all your time driving around.

ETA: I was typing as Dean posted.. lol
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about

Ideally I'd like a combo of wade/drift and big and small waters for variety. I've checked out the info on Missoula via Missoula Montana Fly Fishing Guide | Montana Fishing | Fly Fishing Vacations | Montana Dry Fly Fishing | Montanas Best Fly Fishing | Missoula Fly Fishing Outfitter and that looks like a nice mix of water. Haven't looked at the Twin Bridges/Dillon options ... going to tonight.

Thanks for the help .... and yes - not too shabby a move from the wifey!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

If you have your heart set on Montana I would vote for Twin Bridges or Ennis. There is alot of good public access with great fishing.

If i took a fishing trip out west i would go to cody, wyoming.

Give me the Clarks fork of the yellowstone, greybull river, and the Shoshone any day of the week. The fishing is just as good as Montana, there are 10% of the fisherman, and you get into more cutthroats.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
The fishing is just as good as Montana, there are 10% of the fisherman, and you get into more cutthroats.
Until more people post stuff like this on the innernets...
Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Until more people post stuff like this on the innernets...
I like the fly shops in Cody, Wyoming. If i get a couple more fisherman in the area that is a positive.

Cody is already a destination fishery, it is not like i am hotspotting a place no one has heard of.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

Don't rule out the MO...Missouri. If you want to catch Alaska size Trout go to Craig. Most fish per mile than anyother river in MT. Talk to Cross Currents and you can take a jet boat ride up to the Dam in an area the called "Land of the Giants". Or you can just walk down from the Dam and wade fish. Otherwise get a guide and float, 20 fish a float is fairly common when your with someone who knows what they are doing.
During the caddis hatch the Boulder river in Boulder is a lot of fun and some decent size fish too. Caught a 18" Brown in that little river...I couldn't believe it. The Little Blackfoot is also close and offers good fishing. All can done out of Helena...flght, hotel.
Scenery is not as cool as the others listed in case you want the whole "Montana experience"...Boulder River has some cool views though.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

The Boulder River...

Click the image to open in full size.

My son, Michael workin' the Grey Drake hatch...on the Boulder...

Click the image to open in full size.

...and another nice river just to the East...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM

scottj1990 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by houli View Post
The wife has offered me a 4 day trip to fish in Montana for my birthday. I've done some research online but figured I'd put it out on the forum for some recommendations (rivers, streams, creeks, time of year, guides, places to stay etc.). If there are multiple spots in a relatively close range that's great too.

A bonus would be staying in a cabin riverside ..... but not a requirement.

Please PM if you don't want to put spots on blast.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any/all help.

Ryan
Bozeman Montana, or better yet three forks.