The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Planning 1st Yellowstone Trek

Subscribe to Blue Ribbon Flies weekly email newsletter from their site.

You might want to book a rod on Armstrongs or Depuys spring creeks. Always a good option IF waters around Lamar Valley get blown out, but you must book in advance. Only 30 mins out of Gardner and well worth it!

If you want a challenge try Gibbon River in the meadows area; otherwise I'd spend my time in Lamar Valley. Soda Butte offers great stealthy sight fishing for cutts if you're willing to walk a bit...there's plenty of water.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM

ope is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delayed response, been under water with work and just relocated this thread.

Really appreciate everyone's input, we've bumped our trip back to the 7-15 August timeframe and will be staying in Silver Gate, MT.

Have ordered up the rec'd reading and will be sounding out to regularly as we continue planning our trek.

I just so happen to have both 4 & 6 weight setups (thanks for the heads up). Suspect we'll look to schedule a guided day but not sure which water or guide at this point but would love to hear from others experience and go from there...

Will definitely pick up bear spray as we look to get off the beaten path for a day or two.

This will be my first fly fishing safari and I can't verbalize how excited I am!

This will be amazing-
Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Well, it is a roll of the dice.

Bad thing about August... it's possible it'll be too warm, and the flows low, and some of the rivers can be closed. It just depends on the snowmelt. I think the park is about average this year.. so you're probably fine.

If you're coming from Billings, you have one fantastic view coming over the Beartooth Highway.. as long as heights don't both you
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

Check with Craig Matthews at BRF in W. Yellowstone, or on-line. I think they have a bear spray return program of some sort. If you decide on DePuys or Armstrongs, book early!
Drag free!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

West Yellowstone is more than two hours from Silver Gate, so planning to use a shop there as your main info source is a mistake. There is a shop in Cooke City though I don't know if they have a website. My shop's website Parks' Fly Shop has a lot of information in the How-To section, specifically the Trip Planning pages. We guide on the Yellowstone River (the closest float river) and in the park, especially the northern portion.

BRF will hold bear spray you purchase for you until next year, it's not a rental program. We looked into renting bear spray and our insurance company told us no way. Basically if it's in a sealed package and we sell it, any liability is on the bear spray manufacturer. If it's out of a sealed package and we rent it, liability is on us. You want to buy bear spray, but unless you expect to come out every year, just give it away to a broke-looking college kid when you leave, unless you're driving.

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-02-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Removed URL.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

There used to be a shop in Cooke City (Orvis affilaiated?).. last time I was there (September) it looked closed up for good.