The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 01:13 AM

zeolite will become famous soon enough
Default March on the North Platte

Finally got my Wyoming permit and been walking the North Platte in Casper.
Water has been low and green so can anyone give me some pointers as to tactics.

Streamers or weighted nymphs?

Be kind as I haven't actually fished in the US before.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: March on the North Platte

I've never fished up there this early in the year, but I've always had good success on midges, SJ worms, scuds and leeches. You might want to check the water temp, if it is below 40 degrees I would prospect the deeper holes unless you happen to see fish in the shallows or the runs. Maybe run a double nymph rig in the deeper/slower sections just off the seam of a good run. You mentioned that you are walking the NP "in" Casper.......I have never fished that low in the river. You might checkout the Grey Reef section, just head south on hwy 220 until you get to Alcova (approx 30 miles) and make the turn in at the dam on the dirt road, then I would drive into some of the public access places and try your luck there. About a mile in on the dirt road there is a public access location with some picnic tables and a public bathroom, I forgot what it is called, but it has a couple of nice runs and the fishing is usually good there. Stop at one of the fly shops (North Platte Fly Shop) is on your left as you head toward Alcova and ask them what the fishing has been like and also buy a NP river map that will show all the public access points. I'm not sure if the Grey Reef fly shop is open this time of year of not. If not you could probably stop at the general store/fly shop in Alcova and ask what has been working lately. Another good spot to prospect is Government Bridge, there is usually some nice runs there.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the reply mcnerney.
Meltwater has muddied up the water and I will wait until it clears a bit. I do plan to work my way upriver but as I live in Casper I just wanted somewhere for a quick chuck of an afternoon. I have located some likely spots so hopefully will get some rivertime soon.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome! Like I said I haven't ever fished that low in the river, but I would suggest talking with the local fly shops and the WY Game and Fish, maybe they can give you some pointers. Also remember that Rainbows spawn in the spring so you might want to try small egg patterns.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 PM

I was out for a few hours this afternoon. Howling wind and milky,muddy water. I foul hooked a rainbow fry and that was it! Oh well. It was a nice sunny day.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
I was out for a few hours this afternoon. Howling wind and milky,muddy water. I foul hooked a rainbow fry and that was it! Oh well. It was a nice sunny day.
Zeolite: In other words, your average Casper day (Howling Wind)!
That is one thing about Wyoming, we need to learn to deal with the wind. I remember one time, I drove all the way up to the Grey Reef only to find the wind was really howling, maybe 50-60 mph, the plan was to do some wading and it was early spring and I was set on getting my line wet. The wind was blowing so hard that I had to rig my rod in the car (that was a first), then when I got on the water I found that the only way cast was to water load the line and even then I could only get the line even with my body. Needless to say I didn't stay long, maybe 15 minutes. The bad thing about the upper section is that there is no place to get out of the wind as it usually blows either directly up river or down river, hardly ever sideways.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM

The thing is, I was told that 5 weights were the way to go but I have fished in enough wind to know there was no chance of getting my woolly bugger anywhere with a 5 weight in that wind! I had a 7 weight with a sinker and it was often being collapsed by a big gust. I ended up single hand spey casting to keep the line out of the wind with some success. I am seriously thinking of getting a small double hander for these kind of days.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Administrator

I usually fish there with a 5 wt, but I fully understand what you are running up against. A double hander might be just the ticket for tossing streamers in that wind. There is a good article in "Fly Fisherman" April/May issue on streamer fishing, you might want to look at it. The author (John Barr) talks about using his "Barr's Meat Whistle", it is tied on a Gamakatsu 90 degree jig hook and instead of a steady stripping action he uses a series of strips and pauses, letting the fly touch bottom on the pauses. The fly rides hook point up. Anyway, kind of an interesting approach to streamer fishing and it might be a pretty effective method on the North Platte. http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm

Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Streamer fishing is new to me and all info gratefully accepted. I will have a look for that magazine next time I am in a store.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 PM

Had a day exploring the walk in areas near Casper. Damned if these dirt roads are a bit soft! Got myself stuck and had to dig to get the wagon out! Anyway ended up at Grey Reef and got a couple of small rainbows.