The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM

newtofly is on a distinguished road
Default Red River, New Mexico Trip

Doing a trip to Red River NM with a few friends from church in the first week of Sept. We plan to spend 2-3 days on the water.
I have 2 questions.

One what would be the best flies to use in that area during early Sept as I would like to tie some up before we go?

What would be the best couple of places to fish with our limited time?
The Red, Rio Grande, Rio Hondo, Cabresto, Goose Creek, or another???

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red River, New Mexico Trip

I've never fished there, but you might try calling one of the Taos fly shops. Here is a link to one that recommends using a dry dropper rig with size 14/16 nymphs. Taos, Chama, Rio Grande, Cimmaron, Red River, New Mexico Fishing Report / Taos Fly Shop - Taos New Mexico

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 09-15-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the link Larry. I have been looking it over.
Has anyone got some good advice on the best waters to fish on this trip in Sept?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:24 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

May I suggest driving up through Questa to the Valle Vidal area and fishing the Rio Costilla. I usually try to fish in early Sept, it's gorgeous that time of year. The Shuree ponds are still open and stocked with 16" Rainbows that are a lot of fun to fish. Limit is 2 over 15", though. In the Rio I used #14 Hares ear and assorted Pheasant tail, Copper Johns, and Prince nymphs. In the ponds, use beadheads to get down. Olive wooly buggers were said to be the hot stuff but I didn't have much luck with them. BH Hares ear and Princes were my best flies. Aditional flies may be Blue wing olives soft hackled and Barr's emergers in #16. I even tried a #12 double BH olive stone fly in the pond with some luck. It's a good idea to tie your own since they are pricey in Red River! Good Luck! Glen
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Thanks so much for the advice and another place to consider. It sounds like it would be worth the trip over. I will look into it.
Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 PM

go to YouTube and search Valle Vidal comanche creek Rio Grande stocking. You will see some of the stream and views. Remember, it is release fishing. Glen
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 AM

The Valle looks great on the video, but it looks like we are going to be sitting right next to the Cimmaron. Couple of questions. How long does it take to get to the Valle from Eagle nest Lake? What can anyone tell me about Tolby, Clear, and Maverick Creek? Found some info on the Cimmaron, but not much on the feeder creeks. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Newtofly - From Eagles Nest lake going up through Red River, Questa, and Amalia, it will be around an Hour's drive, depends on how fast you go. Don't be in a hurry, too much to see! Don't know much about the other feeder creeks, except a friend of mine who works for NM Parks told me Tolby is a good place to go for more water. I think that means the Cimarron may be running a bit low. The Cimarron is a very good stream to fish, don't misunderstand, it's just that the Valle's Comanchee and Rio Costilla are so magnificient!
Now, there is another way of getting up to the Valle. East of Cimarron(town) about two miles is a small blue sign that says Valle Vidal. It's a gravel road and a bit rough in places but a 2-wheel PU can make it fine, just go slow. It's 21 miles to the entrance then another 6-8 miles to Shuree ponds, then another 3 miles to streams. I went that way once, wouldn't recommend! Good luck, I know you'll enjoy the trip. Glen E
Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 AM

Thanks a bunch Glen and have been tying flies to get ready for the trip. We will be there in a few weeks and I am looking forward to it as it will be my first NM trip. I keep hearing so many great things about the fishing in NM. Cant wait to get hooked up. I will print out those directions you gave me to the ponds and the Valle. Thanks for all the help and I will let you know how the trip went when we get back.
Thanks!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Saw where they stocked Shuree ponds with 400 - 17 inchers last week. The Cimarron got 1400 rainbows West of Cimarron. The flow is up around 50 in the Rio Costilla. I was leaving on the 8th Sept. May be leaving earlier, now!
Cheers, Glen