The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 PM

heck will become famous soon enough
Default Today was a good day!

Started toward the water at about 10 in the morning, the water in question is a two mile stretch of the lower gunnison river in beautiful(and finally warm) Gunnison co called the palisade cliffs, so called because this stretch is nestled up against these majestic and massive rock faces(hence why they call them the Rockies)! Once on the water I tied a triple threat rig consisting of a tungsten head midge followed by a brown prince and a red egg to finish her off. This did not work, I fished aggresivley with no action for a couple of hours. Man what was I doing wrong I asked myself? There are bugs all over the water; no top action? There are bugs all in the water; no flashes. Nothing; where did all the fish go? At the end of the stretch there is the final honey hole, two in fact great wide deep slow holes I knew if there was anyPlace the fish would be it was here I've seen them I fished them and I've caught them out of this hole and by god I wasn't going to be skunked on stretch of water that I have never been skunked on before. (if at first you don't succeed dust yourself off and try again, right?) so I did. I took off my triple threat and I searched my box for a streamer; and I'll be honest I am not the best streamer fisherman either, so I tied on this brown weighted streamer and cast for the banks stripping ever so gently with a sudden jerk here and there when, BOOM ! FISH ON! (happy dance, happy dance).this fish fought like a seasoned vet and finally after both of us bending our will I had him and was removing the streamer from an 18+ butte of a brown trout! Oh I was extatic I knew this stretch wouldnt let me down, and so I cast again( who wouldn't). Two more casts, stripping, stripping, BOOM, FISH ON ! This one more fiesty than the last got her in and to my surprise a 20" bow with penetrating color what a beautiful fish. So now it's getting to about the time I need to come home and be with the family on Sunday (fisherman will sometimes have to have good time management as unfortunate as that sounds) so do I cast one more time? YES! Last cast going home after will it happen? YES IT WILL! Another (smaller) brown 8" .
today was a good day!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Today was a good day!

Heck, sounds like a great day! Love hearing about successful days streamer fishing too! Keep up the tight lines, days where you get it to finally click are always great.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That big trout is why I always go with a streamer fly and keep at it unless the water starts to boil with surface action. If the hatch is strong there will be enough time for me to change leaders, flies, and grease my line. I've been working big wet flies through the streams, creeks and rivers for a long time because of fish like you got today, way to go!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 PM

heck will become famous soon enough

I will be tying a streamer on alot more often after today, this we can be sure of!