The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Fished St. Vrain yesterday, forgot my camera--ughh!

Went to fish the St. Vrain river for a couple of hours yesterday. Parked the car and walked to the river (small really for those of you that haven't seen it). Realized when I got there that I didn't have my camera, but decided not to walk 5 minutes back to the car b/c I just wanted to start fishing, and b/c I usually only catch 6-8" trout here.

My first cast into a little pool I caught a 17" brown....second cast into the same pool I caugh at 16" brown. Surprised that both of these were in the same 4x4 pool. Both of these were on on my 000 wt txl. Certainly the biggest fish I've caught on that rod and a ton of fun. A great way to end March. Looking forward to a little more runoff to increase the flows.

I won't make the camera mistake again.

-Paul

Last edited by pl4a; 04-01-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fished St. Vrain yesterday, forgot my camera--ughh!

Sounds like a good time but I wouldn't broadcast the fact that you're catching big fish there. I know how it is, I know that we want to tell people of our good fortune. I've learned that there's no harm in telling them I got a really big fish but it can backfire if I tell em where. I'm getting to be an old guy with lots of different experiences over the years, now days I catch some big fish, I know where to find them but it would take some serious water boarding before I told where I get them

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

You are right Ard....got a little excited there. I will definitely keep it more generic next time. At least I didn't say where exactly I caught those two browns--I'll keep that specific place close to me.

Another reason to bring the camera...let the pictures do the talking. No need to say exactly where.

-Paul
Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Paul,

You could get paranoid like me and go back and edit out the river name Even all the way up here with all the pressure on the rivers I won't tell guys where I go. The young fellas at the Mountain View Fly Shop think I'm funny but I believe they are coming round to see why I'm that way.

I once had a creek that had been forgotten by society at large. Even the old men from out in the Valley said all it had were 'little bitty brookies'. The facts were different. Back in the late 1800's there had been a farm up in the pass owned by a Remington, yes one of those Remington's. Well old Mr. Remington had a small dam to supply water to his livestock and he also got himself some Vom Burr brown trout fry via the railroad. he raised trout in his little dam and of course some got away during high waters. Then during the Great Depression there became 'The Municipal Water Authority' and the authority took over a lot of land either by buying it or by imminent domain, I'm not sure of all the details because the history was told to me by a man who was in his 80's in the 1970's.

I fished that creek and the 'Main Creek' that it flowed into for the years between 1968 & 1973. In 73' I got some giant brown trout. I stopped to show them to my Grandmother who later told all my uncles and cousins. Of course those people had friends.................... I still have they trophy I was awarded for catching the biggest brown trout of 1973 and I kept fishing my 'secret spot' until the mid 80's. Sadly by 1975 the area was full of the signs of fishermen. Empty bait containers, Eagle Claw Hook packs & discarded bottles of Mike's Oil Pac Salmon Eggs, and of course Power Bait bottles littered the ground as you walked the stream. By the 80's there was a trail and you could meet people from the city and it's suburbs 30 miles away talking out loud about the place when you went to a sporting goods store, it was over.

The mountains are still there, the streams still flow. I'm 5000 miles away and in the years since those days on Remington's Creek I've fished from remote Newfoundland to my home here in Alaska. I've fished the Rock Mountain rivers and creeks a lot for a guy who didn't live there and one thing stands out in my mind when I look back over the past 39 years since I caught those big fish. I have never fished in a better place for either numbers or size of wild trout and considering where I fish every season now, that's saying something. The events of my days on the creeks of The Valley remain bright as though they were last season but the fish are gone forever.

That my friend is why I don't tell where I fish ever again. It's true that I'll mention the Kenai River sometimes but if you ever saw the number of boats and people fishing it you would know that the fate of that fishery doesn't rest on whether or not the name slipping from my lips happens or not.

Silence is golden Paul,

Ard
tbblom likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Paul,

I would leave the camera behind from now on if I were you.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I fished this stretch today, it was nice day mid 60's light breeze not alot of fisher but tons of rock climbers

Christened the nex ZXL 376-4 in good fashion. The fishing was slow but managed to hook in to and land a pretty 14" Brown. Only caught one other but oh well the fish werent real active. Had the camera but dont know why I didnt feel lke taking a picture.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Ard is right several years ago , Iwould bobwhite quail hunt all winter long , one day I was out hunting with my pointer and she found 7 cuveys of quail .great day. so I told a friend who was a minister where , and ask that he keep it to himself but you what happened the crowds grows. no more birds, from that day forward I never catch very many or very big. keep it to my self I follow a local web site ,it amazing how they tell everything and what rock to stand on. and they wonder why the crowd is so larger.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I hear ya guys on the whole secrecy around the "honey hole" that no one knows about. This spot however is a an extremely well advertised stretch of river by all the local fly shops. It is one of the more popular dog friendly hiking areas in the northern front range.

I do remember grwoing up in Oregon we knew of some backcountry creeks that you never told anyone where you went....just a generic descripton of...."the Applegate" ...went to fish around Butte Falls etc etc

Kind of sad there arent to many secret spots anymore. I guess thats why I hike and fish in Rocky Mt Park so much. There arent many secrets but a quick 1 mile hike will do the trick for some secluded time on the water.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately you didn't really spill the beans saying you fished the St Vrain. Now where you parked and the location of the pool, well that's something you'd only want to share privately, like with me via PM

I have a favorite spot, a little creek/wetland area somewhere between Denver and Steamboat Springs (how's that for vague?). It's slow-moving and generally shallow water with a lot of little brookies, rainbows, and browns in it. But here and there the water has carved out some deeper pockets that hold some nice fish. The first I noticed when I was half-heartedly drifting a 14 pheasant tail nymph through a stretch I was about to wade. An 18 inch brown darted out of shadows and grabbed it. Then a 20 inch rainbow took my humpy and I was in shock. This was followed by a 16 inch rainbow in about a foot of water grabbing a size 18 ant. They were fun on my 3wt. Anytime someone would ask me about the spot I'd say, "yeah I caught a bunch of little ones". There's enough well known trout waters around it that most folks wouldn't waste their time.

I rarely use my camera fishing and when I do it's usually to take pictures of the river or my buddies fishing. I've found, like most things in life I really enjoy, both pictures and trying to describe the experience afterwards lose a lot. My favorite is the moment of the take followed closely by seeing the beautiful fish before releasing it. Mixed in with those is just being out on the river. As much as I like the pictures of fish I catch, they don't come close to actually seeing them, nor do the pictures of the river convey what it's like being there. I don't buy the idea that if there's no picture, it didn't happen. It happened and is remembered where it counts and I don't need pictures to enjoy it. I'm not knocking folks who like pictures or saying I never take them (I do), just that it really doesn't bug me when I forget my camera.