The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Montana fishing reports?

Hey Montana anglers...how has your fishing been this spring? I am itching bad...real bad but the Missoula area is not looking too good. This has been the worst March I can remember. Early in the month it was looking good but we got one little warm up and the low snow came down...bumped the flows. Then some steady rains...another bump...then warm...bump. Over this past weekend Rock Creek double from 400cfs to 800cfs - that's not good for anyone. The skwala hatch has been good on the Bitterroot for weeks, so I've been told. I am a wade fisherman and love the skwala hatch for the low water and big dry fly fishing, but I've been shut out so far.

So I am really hoping to get out this weekend. The flows on the Madi look stable -- Dave, have you been out lately? I'm considering the lower end for ease of access or maybe below Ennis Lake. Or the Missouri at Toston?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Montana fishing reports?

Best reports online are from Kris:

Montana Troutfitters

Madi: the lake just turned.. so lower is/was having issues

I did hear the Missouri was on fire last week.. but really windy

Wanted to go out Saturday but got a cold... thinking tomorrow just on the Gallatin

I might sartt getting the boat ready if this weather continues (although it did snow yesterday, Saturday it was 72)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I have always done well on the lower gallatin this time of year. It seems that the fish are most willing in the month before runnoff.

I went out last weekend in central wyoming and fished a semi-famous creek that receives very little pressure.

It was my first time fishing it, and the fishing was so good I would feel bad naming it.
Everyone that has lived more than a few years in Gillette, Sheridan, or Casper has heard of it. Its not a hidden gem, but it also does not see many tourists.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Bighorn - End of March there were Midges, BWOs all over and well its the "Horn" fishing was great on dry, nymph, and streamers all were doing well. Mainly midge patterns or small parachutes up top. Midge/sowbugs for nymphing.

The Clarks fork - Was murky water last I checked 4/04 but had some nice top bugs. Never have any luck there so dont fish it much.

Rock Creek OTY - Lower levels still but the waters gin clear, with the warmer weather bringing trout out of their winter holes in the faster water nymph or streamers are hot. While we have had some cloudy warmer days to bring out the BWO's like crazy fish have not really key'd into them. Midges clusters can produce fish, mostly subsurface still though not many fish looking up. Hairs ears, p.tails, midge patterns working nicely.

Stillwater - same as rock creek for the most part. Not really float ready though you can just have to pull it around some I hear.

Beartooth lakes - frozen

I did have a chance to fish the Gallatin right first week of march right out of 4 corners and had a good time landed ALOT of whitefish few smaller rainbows. All on midge nymphs mainly roll overs.

Last edited by shortyb; 04-15-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

We fished the Yellowstone last week. We landed 22-24 or so, dries, nymphs and streamers.
Also fished the lower Gallatin during the week. Lots of snags, water was a little off color., got one brown in about an hour
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Also fished the lower Gallatin during the week. Lots of snags, water was a little off color., got one brown in about an hour
Have you fished the Gallatin in the past during the late-Sept/early-October time of the year, and if so did you have much success ?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Gallatin is great that time of year.. no tourists! lol

Fishing.. is still good too.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
We fished the Yellowstone last week. We landed 22-24 or so, dries, nymphs and streamers.
Thanks for the report, Dave. We are having a mini-blowout here....tain't no fishin at least.

Madi below the lake sounds like it's shaping up, I've never fished it there but an quite interested in it. I think I have to get over to the Missouri soon...
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Your extra snow pack is biting you early.. lol

Lower Madison I never fished until we got the boat.. it seems to change quickly.. but reports seesm to be pretty good.. have to see what this storm does to the clarity. I need to start wade fishing it more

Missouri.. me too
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
Have you fished the Gallatin in the past during the late-Sept/early-October time of the year, and if so did you have much success ?
I have fished the lower gallatin close to a hundred times during that time of year. It fishes great that time of year.

Are you going to be up in bozeman this fall?

I am in Houston this summer, pm me. I will trade you one of my secret bozeman fishing spots for one of yours down here.