The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Davo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Snake River Trip 4/2/2012

Not everyone reads the blogs so I'm posting this trip report here too!!

Well we have officially christened the 2012 Season! April 2nd Greg, Tony and myself floated the Wilson to South Park stretch of the Snake here in Jackson Hole. A good day was had by all!

Unlike last year the snow is gone in town and on the river. Though there is still future runoff sitting up high in the hills.

Click the image to open in full size.

But for now the water is clear and at the perfect level for catching a few fish floating.

We put in at Wilson about 11:00AM. The outside temp was about 40 degrees with a 10mph winds. The fish were still slow to get going for the first few miles. We had a bright sunny day for the entire float. So as the wind laid down mid afternoon and the water temp rose to the mid 40's the fish started to get going.

Despite a good midge hatch happening all day there was little to no surface activity till the home stretch. We fished mostly streamers and nymph a couple of runs. Tony spent the day spin fishing.

7-8 fish were brought to hand through the day. We moved 15 really nice fish on streamer as well. This post is not pic heavy due to my absent mindedness. Every year for the first float I have to dig out my gear and re outfit the boat. It is inevitable that something gets missed on the first trip and this year was no exception. Several of the fish escaped their Kodak moment thanks to me forgetting the net. I knew what I'd done as soon as Greg hooked into his first fish. A really nice 20" plus Cutty. Managed him right up next to the boat where he spit the streamer as Greg reached for him. No photo op there!!

We did manage to get a couple to hand for a few pics. Here are a couple of Tony's.

This is one of my three fish. Got him nymphing the same hole Tony got that last one out of. He took a black rubberlegs.

The next float is planned for Friday. It will be rusty r from the forum, my boss and friend Greg and my self. Planning to do the same stretch with a net and some insight on how the fish are behaving. Thinking it will only get better each float!! Till then Tight line and Great fishing!!
jpbfly likes this.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Snake River Trip 4/2/2012

Nice report and some good looking fish for the first trip..
Old 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo: Congrats, looks like a great day on the water and getting the boat out after the long winter had to feel pretty good behind the oars!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Beautiful Dave,

So glad to see you out enjoying the life.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Row, row, row yer boat gently down the stream.....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulator2 View Post
Nice report and some good looking fish for the first trip..
Thanks, It was a great day and we did well for April 2nd!

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Davo: Congrats, looks like a great day on the water and getting the boat out after the long winter had to feel pretty good behind the oars!
Larry it felt great to be at the oars again!! Though a little tight in spots the next day. 6 months off and the muscle start to backslide a bit!! LOL.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Beautiful Dave,

So glad to see you out enjoying the life.
Ard

Still facing an uncertain future here in WY, so it was real nice to be out enjoying my reason for being here!!

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Row, row, row yer boat gently down the stream.....
Fysh

LOL!! Your turn!!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Davo...glad to see you back on the watergot some news from you...by Larry
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Hey Davo...glad to see you back on the watergot some news from you...by Larry
JP

Thanks, really lifted my spirits to hit the water!! What news?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Davo, really great to see you on the water again!

I'm really hoping I can make it out West in the near future, but got a lot of expenses coming down the pipeline, the future isn't looking so friendly...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Davo, really great to see you on the water again!

I'm really hoping I can make it out West in the near future, but got a lot of expenses coming down the pipeline, the future isn't looking so friendly...
Thanks. Great to be getting out for sure!! I understand about the future being a bit questionable. Hopefully things workout and I'm still here in the Rockies when you make it out!! Only time will tell, and at some point things can only get better!!