The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Kick-boating Colorado (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/261659-kick-boating-colorado.html)

eddyfisher 04-05-2012 01:28 PM

Kick-boating Colorado

Hi,

I'm looking for kick-boaters interested in sharing shuttles and fishing in the Colorado, Roaring Fork and Arkansas rivers. If you live in the central Rockies and would like to hook-up, leave me a message.

dharkin 04-05-2012 04:44 PM

Re: Kick-boating Colorado

I'll Bite,

May I ask what a "kick Boater" is?

eddyfisher 04-06-2012 07:36 AM

Sorry maybe I should have been more clear. I meant people who own "kick-boats" or one man pontoon boats made for fishing rivers and lakes or running whitewater to class III or IV. Being a one-man boat, shuttles can be costly or difficult without a partner.

brucerducer 12-29-2012 09:32 AM

Who has experience here with the use of a Pontoon boat in Colorado Rivers?

With rating of Class I (easy rivers for beginners) to Class VI (extreme river drifting) I would like to know what kind of Pontoon Boat I should get?

I see the Colorado River mentioned, the Gunnison, the Arkansas, and of course there are many others. Which Rivers do you feel confident in using a Pontoon Boat in, and what Pontoon in Specific, can you trust?

When the rating refers to a Class IV river, does it mean you just get a Bouncy Ride, or does it mean you have about a 50% to 50% chance of getting overturned in the river?

lightline 12-29-2012 10:14 AM

Eddy, I fish MT, UT, and WY in mine. A bicycle, mini-bike, or small dirt bike will become your friend! That's what I often use to save shuttle costs.

Bruce, the major limiting factor in where you can take your pontoon/kick boat is your rowing ability and ability to read the water and take the path of least resistance. They'll go nearly anywhere though. Gunny, Ark, and Colorado are all ok. Some will be hairy at certain flows, usually high ones, so that's a big factor too. Most rapids you can row around in a small boat. If not that, most can be portaged easily too since they're so light.

fishnskiguy 12-29-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucerducer (Post 511182)
Who has experience here with the use of a Pontoon boat in Colorado Rivers?

With rating of Class I (easy rivers for beginners) to Class VI (extreme river drifting) I would like to know what kind of Pontoon Boat I should get?

I see the Colorado River mentioned, the Gunnison, the Arkansas, and of course there are many others. Which Rivers do you feel confident in using a Pontoon Boat in, and what Pontoon in Specific, can you trust?

When the rating refers to a Class IV river, does it mean you just get a Bouncy Ride, or does it mean you have about a 50% to 50% chance of getting overturned in the river?

The latter. And if you are not wearing a life jacket, you have about the same chance of coming out alive.

Chris

P.S. I'm certified to guide whitewater trips on the Colorado, Roaring Fork, and Eagle rivers.