The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lightline
  • 1 Post By fishnskiguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 PM

eddyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Kick-boating Colorado

Hi,

I'm looking for kick-boaters interested in sharing shuttles and fishing in the Colorado, Roaring Fork and Arkansas rivers. If you live in the central Rockies and would like to hook-up, leave me a message.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kick-boating Colorado

I'll Bite,

May I ask what a "kick Boater" is?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 AM

eddyfisher is on a distinguished road

Sorry maybe I should have been more clear. I meant people who own "kick-boats" or one man pontoon boats made for fishing rivers and lakes or running whitewater to class III or IV. Being a one-man boat, shuttles can be costly or difficult without a partner.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Who has experience here with the use of a Pontoon boat in Colorado Rivers?

With rating of Class I (easy rivers for beginners) to Class VI (extreme river drifting) I would like to know what kind of Pontoon Boat I should get?

I see the Colorado River mentioned, the Gunnison, the Arkansas, and of course there are many others. Which Rivers do you feel confident in using a Pontoon Boat in, and what Pontoon in Specific, can you trust?

When the rating refers to a Class IV river, does it mean you just get a Bouncy Ride, or does it mean you have about a 50% to 50% chance of getting overturned in the river?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Eddy, I fish MT, UT, and WY in mine. A bicycle, mini-bike, or small dirt bike will become your friend! That's what I often use to save shuttle costs.

Bruce, the major limiting factor in where you can take your pontoon/kick boat is your rowing ability and ability to read the water and take the path of least resistance. They'll go nearly anywhere though. Gunny, Ark, and Colorado are all ok. Some will be hairy at certain flows, usually high ones, so that's a big factor too. Most rapids you can row around in a small boat. If not that, most can be portaged easily too since they're so light.
mcnerney and brucerducer like this.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Who has experience here with the use of a Pontoon boat in Colorado Rivers?

With rating of Class I (easy rivers for beginners) to Class VI (extreme river drifting) I would like to know what kind of Pontoon Boat I should get?

I see the Colorado River mentioned, the Gunnison, the Arkansas, and of course there are many others. Which Rivers do you feel confident in using a Pontoon Boat in, and what Pontoon in Specific, can you trust?

When the rating refers to a Class IV river, does it mean you just get a Bouncy Ride, or does it mean you have about a 50% to 50% chance of getting overturned in the river?

The latter. And if you are not wearing a life jacket, you have about the same chance of coming out alive.

Chris

P.S. I'm certified to guide whitewater trips on the Colorado, Roaring Fork, and Eagle rivers.
brucerducer likes this.